• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Mi16 Alternator

Ethos

Hi guys

Start motor is starting to play up! Has been fine since I did the conversation but it's failed to start at all (not even crank) twice in the last two days.

Girlfriend is moaning at me big time to get this sorted as it means she can't use the car for fear of being stranded.

Can I get a new/recon start for the mi16? Don't fancy going 2nd hand as this seems a common fault (old 1.6 did it as well on a different starter).

Also the wiring to the alternator is a bit fried

fried.jpg

How hard is it to make up a new "power" loom for battery/alternator/starter?

Mods title is meant to read Starter motor not alternator :lol:

Thanks

Edited by Ethos

Tom Fenton

I'd replace the wiring first of all, really quite easy to do, get some cable and lugs etc from somewhere like vehicle wiring products.

Ethos

Hi Tom

I guess it's more the crimping that I can't do due to the size of cable... I've got a decent for red/blue/yellow but nothing that'll crimp proper thick wire :lol:

Tom Fenton

Try a local auto electrical place, they will have all the gear and will probably be able to make you up what is needed reasonably cheaply.

Ethos

Good thinking!

My current "power loom", but worse for wear:

powerloom.jpg

Mikey S

i reckon i have one of those in the shed if your interested, saves hassle making a new one.

Miles

Don;t buy a big bodied starter by any account, they are rubbish compared to the late slimline one's, can be hard to get hold of those as most factor's just supply a starter to fit a XU engine, Mind if you ask for a S16 one they are all slim bodied

Ethos

Well, went to a local auto place today and they were asking £95 for a new starter so my old man suggest getting it refurbed for ALOT less.

Took it to a chap and he said he'd do it for cheap, so worth a try.

Only thing that's worrying me is I hit it a few times before I took it off and the car wouldn't start... and when he tested it on his bench it seemed to work fine.

Fingers crossed I'm fixing the right part here!

Edited by Ethos

Miles

That's one reason why I said about getting a small one, Very rarely do they fail on the bench so I would guess most recon companies just paint them up and send them out again, Only under heat and under bonnet conditions is the time they fail.

Ethos

Ah, I see Miles :D

To be fair the car was cold this morning and still wouldn't start...

The chap said he was going to take it apart and recon it all (including solenoid). He doesn't charge much at all and it's a damn sight cheaper than £95, the chap at mill auto said there are two for the s16, ther other one was about £130.

Should get it back tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Edited by Ethos

maturin23

Bit late for you - sorry - but I got a pretty much brand new alternator, starter and soleniod from a scrapyard last week that I took out of a 306 GLD for £30.

All fitted perfectly although the alternator pulley needed swapping for the Mi16 one.

It's worth calling round your local breakers as there are loads of XU-engined cars that will have parts that fit.

Sign in to follow this