• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Group A Solid Rear Beam Mounts

So I have successfully (I think!) fitted a refurbed rear beam and fitted solid group A to it. I am pleased with the results, it is definitely more positve and stable through bends and this is with standard height and original shocks. The ride is unchanged but I definitely get more noise through to the cabin as I knew I would. But on loading up in corners, it seems to increase in noise and makes a sort of buzzing noise, almost like when a wheel bearing goes. Is this right in your experiences? Just want to check nothing's untoward.

Cheers.

Rob Thomson

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, my GpAs don't do that.

welshpug

check that the tyres aren't rubbing on anything :D

Hmm, if it was a wheel bearing, surely it would have been doing it before I swapped the beam? When I put the drums back on the bearings were quite "loose" inside the drum (will move side to side), but they've always been like that - are they meant to be?!

My first thought was the tyres - have checked and they seem to be ok - not rubbing on anything.

Anthony

As said, you shouldn't get this noise with Group A mounts - you can sometimes get increased noise/vibration through the cabin under certain circumstances (cobble-stone roads springs to mind) but under normal circumstances I've noticed no difference and you shouldn't get more noise turning one way compared to the other.

I can't think of anything related to the beam that would cause the issue either if the tire isn't rubbing. Generally, if the beam was at fault you'd get clunking or squeaking/groaning sounds from it, and usually on large bumps (speedhumps, potholes etc) rather than cornering.

I should have a few sets of drums with the bearings still in them, so you're welcome to give them a try if you like? Certainly the buzzing/whirring sound you describe would make me think wheel bearing first and foremost.

Either way, I should be around most of the weekend if you want me to take a look at it and/or dig out a set of drums for you :D

As said, you shouldn't get this noise with Group A mounts - you can sometimes get increased noise/vibration through the cabin under certain circumstances (cobble-stone roads springs to mind) but under normal circumstances I've noticed no difference and you shouldn't get more noise turning one way compared to the other.

I can't think of anything related to the beam that would cause the issue either if the tire isn't rubbing. Generally, if the beam was at fault you'd get clunking or squeaking/groaning sounds from it, and usually on large bumps (speedhumps, potholes etc) rather than cornering.

I should have a few sets of drums with the bearings still in them, so you're welcome to give them a try if you like? Certainly the buzzing/whirring sound you describe would make me think wheel bearing first and foremost.

Either way, I should be around most of the weekend if you want me to take a look at it and/or dig out a set of drums for you :D

Hello mate, well I've just been out for another spin in it :blush:. It is more of a whirring sound like you say - I'm getting it all the time and it just increases in corners. Can't work out if it's just the solid mounts transferring more noise, but I am suspicious of the bearings - they must be pretty old by now. The beam seems fine though, nice and quiet, nice and tight! If you would be able to take a look at it for a second opinion, that'd be great, I'm about tomorrow morning?

Anthony

I'll try and pop over in the morning and lend a ear :D

Tom Fenton

Sounds quite likely to be a tired wheel bearing that you couldn't hear before but you can now due to the solid mounts.

The drum bearings are dirt cheap I seem to remember so probably worth changing it anyway to see if that cures it.

Sounds quite likely to be a tired wheel bearing that you couldn't hear before but you can now due to the solid mounts.

Yes, crossed my mind that the solid mounts were amplifying it now.

Hopefully Anthony will solve it rather quicker than my guess work :D . Any time after 9ish mate, you can pick up up my old beam as well if you want - cheers.

Anthony

It was a wheel bearing as suspected.

Took a bit of head scratching, as it was the opposite wheel bearing to what it logically should have been and to where the noise was subjectively coming from.

Sign in to follow this