• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiD

Rear Hub Nut

MiD

Replaced the stub axles and put everthing back in the correct order, however when I put the hub nut on it does not clear the end of the axle. Can still see the top two threads of the nut. Other than going out to find a scaffold pole am now in a quandry. I've read threads from 2007 about the difficulty people had getting the nut off but none about how hard it is getting it on. Should I try a bit harder and go and find that scaffold pole or what?

welshpug

was it like that previously?

sounds like a Drum brake stub with a disc brake hub fitted, 205/309 drum stubs are shorter.

also, have you torqued them up and slackened off to seat the stub in the arm?

Edited by welshpug

MiD

Solved the mystery. Welshpug got me thinking that rather than me doing anything wrong perhaps the shaft was too short. Stripped it down which having been nicely greased was very easy. measured it and phoned the supplier. He then contacted the firm who made it and confirmed that it was a for a 1.6. Not his fault he received it and sent it in good faith. Never been so happy to receive the wrong order

C_W

It would still have worked ok, not "ideal" but not unusable. My car ran 1.1XE rear beam with 1.9 gti torsion bars/discs etc fitted for a few years.

CosKev
It would still have worked ok, not "ideal" but not unusable. My car ran 1.1XE rear beam with 1.9 gti torsion bars/discs etc fitted for a few years.

Its a locking nut if I remember right??? :)

If so its debatable that the nut would be 'locked' if the the threads are not right through it,so far from 'ideal'!!!! :lol:

pug_ham
Its a locking nut if I remember right??? :)

While it is in some ways a locking nut with a formed end that tightens the thread as it goes theough the hub nut, you are supposed to stake it into the stub axle once its torqued up so it would still stay tight.

Graham.

CosKev
While it is in some ways a locking nut with a formed end that tightens the thread as it goes theough the hub nut, you are supposed to stake it into the stub axle once its torqued up so it would still stay tight.

Graham.

Oh yeah,I remember now :blush:

So would just need a bigger section of nut 'staking' onto stub axle if it was short :D

Sign in to follow this