• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Stupidly Fast Idle, Not The Sad...

Fox

In this cold weather my car fires up fine, it idles around 1200 when first fired up, then the problems start...

After two or three minutes of driving, it idles at 2k. it does this for about 20 minutes, then drops to about 1200, but fluctuates up and down badly. After this is settles down to about 1500, and runs well.

Now, I assumed this was the SAD, but after removing the sad hose and blocking the hole into the TB it makes no difference, it seems the SAD makes no difference at all.

What could this be? A possible air leak? Its really starting to get on my wick

welshpug

which hole into the t/b are you blocking? the SAD doesn't feed into the throttle body.

check for air leaks, mainly the inlet manifold gasket, and the oil filler pot securing stud, and the brake servo hose, if none of the above show any signs of leaking it may be a worn AFM, or a worn throttle body.

Fox
which hole into the t/b are you blocking? the SAD doesn't feed into the throttle body.

check for air leaks, mainly the inlet manifold gasket, and the oil filler pot securing stud, and the brake servo hose, if none of the above show any signs of leaking it may be a worn AFM, or a worn throttle body.

Sorry, I ment the plastic pipe between the AFM and TB

Whats the oil filler pot securing stud?

I picked up a TB from ebay, but it seems to be the older type

nick

I would check the obvious first, such as the throttle cable sticking, throttle butterfly sticking/gummed up and any sort of air leak (even a badly sealing dipstick can cause a bad idle)

Nick

Fox
throttle butterfly sticking/gummed up

Didnt think of that, will whip it off and give it a clean up with some carb cleaner...

tri_longer

Let us know how you get on as mine does the same and i've tried all sorts to locate the problem.

Fox
Let us know how you get on as mine does the same and i've tried all sorts to locate the problem.

Have you wound the idle screw all the way in, and it still wont idle slow enough?

Must be an air leak...

mhyphenl
Have you wound the idle screw all the way in, and it still wont idle slow enough?

Must be an air leak...

You probably need to make sure the throttle position switch is properly set also, this caused all sorts of problems on mine, particularly being erratic and fluctuating on idle, one minute 15 -1600 then 1200 etc! In the end most of the sensors will have an effect but the worst is air leaks. You need to start with the inlet manifold and work outwards methodically. The bolt in question is meant to hold the oil filler tube in place but the plastic often breaks!! Make sure somthing is in every hole in the airways. (something I don't recommend in your own airways. :unsure: )

Mikey S

a can of brake cleaner sprayed on the inet system will soon diagnose any air leak problems. if there is an airleak the revs will rise.

Sign in to follow this