• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Quick Torsion Bar Question

Veero

Right got a 306 trailing arm assembly someone wants on here but the torsion bar is a bit stuck. Before I start battering merry hell out of it which way does it come out?

DSC00611.jpg

Looking at the photo it comes out to the left (if it were fitted to the car, away from the centre of the car) direction yes?

Also if it is seized in there whats a good way to remove it without damaging anything? It's been soaking in PlusGas for ages and I have a small gas torch to hand.

Thanks

Veero

Stu

It doesn't look like you've removed the offset washer bud, so removed that, and you'll see the end of the torsion bar. Apply the force from the left hand side driving the bar outwards. Once the offset washer is out, add a bit more WD and heat the casting, its helps a lot.

Another trick is to pick the assembly up so the trailing arm is on the floor, pick it up so its clear and put the torsion bar in the vice. Reverse the shock bolt so the head is facing you and smack the s*it out of it till the trailing arm comes off.

Hope this helps!

Veero

Ah sorry the pic was taken before I got the washer out.

Ok cheers, I was about to hit the wrong way :blush:, thanks for the info :unsure:

Anthony

The torsion bar will come out either way - doesn't matter. The issue is that they can sieze into the arm, so it's just getting it moving that the problem if you don't have any kind of puller or press available.

Just be careful what you hit with a hammer, as it's easy to damage both the arm and torsion bar if you're not careful. In particular, do not hit around the arm where the offset washer sits as it is very easy to distort (and the washer doesn't go back in).

If you get stuck and you're down Swindon way, feel free to pop in and I'll press it out for you in mere seconds :unsure:

jonnie205

yes remove offset washer and hit bar outwards, if you have a grinder you can always cut torsion bar off which makes things easier

Veero

Anthony, your hydraulic press is a god send. Cheers fella!