• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattbenselin

Peugeot Sport Group A Camshaft

mattbenselin

Hi I have just bought a Peugeot Sport Group A camshaft (thanks Hodgy) and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on its particulars?

The code on the end reads CTS 7048 which I think means it's the Max-Torque cam and has 285 d's of duration but if anyone knows valve lift and exact duration figures that would be great. Also if anyone has used one what was it like?

Thanks, Matt

pug_ham

The 7048 is the "Max Torque" cam but I can't find the exact spec for lift etc but its very closely matched to the catcam (4900366) iirc.

Main thing to note is the cam isn't suitable for use with the standard injection system due to the duration.

I can only think of one person thats used this cam but their engine spec was quite high & on mappable injection with TB's but they did say it was a very tractable cam.

Graham.

Sandy

I think this is what was in Sean McKeown's engine when it came to me (Longmans "Gravel" cam). If so, measured at 0.2mm clearance, the inlet profile was 280 degrees at 0.1mm, 254 degrees at 1.0mm and 11.28mm peak lift.

pug_ham

Thats the one I was thinking of Sandy, Thanks.;)

Or was it one of the many other cam's Sean has tried in his engine? :D

Graham.

mattbenselin

Ok thanks, so what do you guys think to this then? It is to be used with 40mm carbs, flowed head with increased CR (not sure how much yet).

I could kick myself, after driving to get this cam I routed through my garage at home for some info on the PTS cams and came across a Piper BP285 112 in new condition. I was 99% sure this cam was a 270 or I wouldn't have bought another. But now which do I use? I assume both will need shimming correctly so really could do with knowing asap.

cams.jpg

Thanks a lot, I can't get enough help!

Matt

Edit: Can add pics of the cams if it's any help???

Edited by mattbenselin

Sandy

Sean's cam definitely didn't have that much lift.

mattbenselin

So is it as straight cut as ones better than the other or not? I've got the PTS, BP285 and a std 1.9 cam on my desk together. The PTS and std seem to have similar lifts whilst the Piper one is higher, but the 'pointiness' of the lobes is most apparent on the std, less so on the piper and the PTS is much rounder. Now I know this means more duration but again what do I go for?

PTS left, Piper middle, Std right

Photo-0031.jpg

Thanks, Matt

Tom Fenton

Comparison of shapes is meaningless I'm afraid, as you may well find that the base circle diameter of the "hotter" cams is smaller than the standard cam, meaning that although they look similar, the hotter cams actually have much more lift.

mattbenselin

Agreed there are differences in the base circles, the pic was only to illustrate the different lobe features. However the shape of the PTS compared to the Piper is quite different, regardless of lift (though it seems the Piper has more lift on paper). The shape of the PTS better resembles a Piper 300 cam or similar.

Please keep the info coming....

Matt

hodgy

pm Jturnell off of here. thats who i bought it off origianlly he knows the stats of it

welshpug

do you really need more lift?

mattbenselin

Well I'm not sure that's why I originally asked what was best?

A few people have told me the Piper 285 is a great cam and that's what I should go for. But having never driven with either cam I will end up choosing only on other people's opinions. So...

...any thoughts?

Thanks, Matt

kennygti

Hi Matt. I bought the cam off you on Ebay the other day. Just looking throught your thread. Does anyone have anymore info on this cam?

mattbenselin

This is all I knew really. Congrats on winning the auction by the way, I really didn't want to let it go but I needed the money and found another cam to use.

This is best place to find out info but this thread been around a while and not many biters. What engine you putting it into?

Matt

kennygti

i its goin in my 1.9 8v but im currently building a 1.6 trackcar so im gonna put it in the 1.6 i think or is it only suitable for the 1.9. Ive got some weber 40's on the way too.

Guest sam-black

I almost bought this cam off ebay the other day but missed the end of the auction! Asked all about it aswell, typical.

Good to see someone on the fourm bought it and I hope you find out all the info you need.

mattbenselin

You mean there could have been a bidding war...damn it!

Will work fine in either 1.6 or 1.9 preferably on the carbs though.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Matt

kennygti

in that case i will put it in my 1900 until i get my 1600 engine back. Will let you know what occurs lol.

welshpug

I'm putting one in a 1.9 soon too, (I bought Sean's Pugsport/Longmans/piper Gravel cam)

what management/induction are you guys using?

mattbenselin

I bought mine from Hodgy so best to ask him what he used as my group a cam never made it into the engine unfortunately. Think he ran it with twin 45s though and was very pleased.

Matt

kennygti

yer ill be running mine with twin 40's then may think aout a set of 45's after see what happens first

welshpug

Anyone know what the clearances should be set to?

seen so many conflicting clearance specs for this engine,

Haynes states IN; 0.15-0.25 EX; 0.35-0.45

Puma - IN 0.20-0.25 EX; 0.30-0.35

Piper (manufacturer of the cam I'm led to believe) - IN 0.20 EX 0.25!!

current clearances are

EXH...INT...INT...EXH...EXH...INT...INT...EXH

going off that I need to adjust the exhaust on one valve, and possibly all 4 inlets?

kennygti
Anyone know what the clearances should be set to?

seen so many conflicting clearance specs for this engine,

Haynes states IN; 0.15-0.25 EX; 0.35-0.45

Puma - IN 0.20-0.25 EX; 0.30-0.35

Piper (manufacturer of the cam I'm led to believe) - IN 0.20 EX 0.25!!

current clearances are

EXH...INT...INT...EXH...EXH...INT...INT...EXH

going off that I need to adjust the exhaust on one valve, and possibly all 4 inlets?

Yer i could do with knowing this aswell. Also how do you adjust the clearances? Do you need different shims from under the buckets or is there another way of adjusting them?

welshpug

you just change the shims, I think one or two of mine I can swap around but the rest I think I'm going to buy from Peugeot, about £2.60 each.

one thing worth noting, the DW8 and XUD engines use the same shims,

kennygti
you just change the shims, I think one or two of mine I can swap around but the rest I think I'm going to buy from Peugeot, about £2.60 each.

one thing worth noting, the DW8 and XUD engines use the same shims,

Are the DW8 and XUD shims a different price then? Do you also know if they sell then in packs and what sort of size I will need?

Sign in to follow this