• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johny105_y2k

What Would You Do In This Situation?

johny105_y2k

Hi,

well basically i have a 1600 engine in bits for a re-build .

i've cleaned it and was going over the block with a wire attatchment for the drill in prep for paint.

i was concentrating on the area around the engine number and it 'grabbed' and has taken the number off making it unreadable.

now i got this engine from a car i bought as a CAT C so no logbook.

and i'll need to change the number over on the logbook for legal purposes (would prefer to keep it legal tbh)

anyway of finding the number out? or do i do something a bit naughty. (think you know what i mean <_<)

this is a replacement engine for the one currently in my car..

what do you think i should do ???

johny

Tom Fenton

Engine numbers realistically mean knob all. If you are really worried what I would do is get a set of stamps and stamp your own number in there, JOH001 or something, then at least the engine has a number, and you can send this off for the logbook.

johny105_y2k
Engine numbers realistically mean knob all. If you are really worried what I would do is get a set of stamps and stamp your own number in there, JOH001 or something, then at least the engine has a number, and you can send this off for the logbook.

would that be legal??? making my own engine number up?

i understnad they mean naff all but for example . an accident and the insurance check the vehicle over, different engine number to log book.

johny

Miles

Not sure on the legal side of this, but the car's are all over 15 years old and a new owner will not know the spec the car should be, Brakes, Injection type etc so there must be some leaway on this, Also if the insurance company know's there Pugs they will know the engine number's wash off, Fall off as only the late Phase 2 engine's had the number stamped on the block, The mi16 is the worst, no way can you see the number without a mirror as it's on the back of the engine

steve@cornwall

Question is "what would I do?" I'd fit the engine and forget about it. Most GTis have had at least 1 engine replacement by now and the vast majority have lost engine numbers years ago. Has anyone checked theirs against the V5?

DanteICE

Call the DVLA or VOSA, see if they can give you a legal pathway.

MrG

I'd go with Steves suggestion, stick it in and leave it at that.

Tom Fenton
would that be legal??? making my own engine number up?

i understnad they mean naff all but for example . an accident and the insurance check the vehicle over, different engine number to log book.

johny

No need for the engine number to be different to the logbook, the engine number, along with colour, is something you can easily alter on the V5 by filling in a form and sending it off.

hexhamstu

mines on its 3 engine and its fourth head, i didnt bother telling the dvla, so i dunno, if it was me i wouldnt give to monkeys?

johny105_y2k
Call the DVLA or VOSA, see if they can give you a legal pathway.

bingo i take busses for MOT everyweek and have got quite friendly with the vosa guys theyr'e .

think i'll prob just stick it in regardless tho judging by what people have said in here.

thanks fellas

johny

joelpsmith

You don't need an engine number. Just send the V5 off with a note saying 'engine number not known" the DVLA will return it with 'unknown' in the place where the number would normally go.

I did this very recently with a motorbike where i replaced the engine with one out a scrap yard that had had the number filed off because it was stolen/recovered. There is no problem and it's not a legal requirement to have a number.

johny105_y2k
You don't need an engine number. Just send the V5 off with a note saying 'engine number not known" the DVLA will return it with 'unknown' in the place where the number would normally go.

I did this very recently with a motorbike where i replaced the engine with one out a scrap yard that had had the number filed off because it was stolen/recovered. There is no problem and it's not a legal requirement to have a number.

thankyou very much very useful info, thankyou very much

boombang

Where abouts are the engine numbers? Had a thought that mine wouldn't match the V5 either.

Having said that I got slightly bigger worry in lack of VIN number, but that can be solved easy enough by getting a plate made up and rivetted it on...

johny105_y2k

it sounds as though they vary depending on age and which version you have.

mine is where the head and the block meet on the left hand side , there are two little plates with it on.

johny

boombang

Not sure the plates are still on mine, has the bottom end from an F reg car, head from another, the actual reg for the car is an E plate, and the shell I think is 1990ish in age.

Will start a new thread about the VIN, save hijacking this!

Edited by boombang

johny105_y2k

spoke to some guys at the vosa station where i go today, unkown engine would usually promp questions to be asked which is ok but a pain.

i've been advised to ask pug for the engine number ... do you rekon they'd still have this info? or would they still have the original engine no ????

boombang

On the basis it's fallen off, could just leave it with the number you got at the moment - if it's fallen off then nothing to check!

hoody_g

tbh if you are just puting an 8v engine in i wouldn't bother with trying to put an number on. If you went 16v then i can se the point. As for reading numbers the one on my leggy is under the top mount interwarmer. Which needs to be removed to read :blink:

Sign in to follow this