• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Mi16 Not Starting After New Starter Motor.

davemar

I've just replaced the starter motor after it failed on my 205 Mi16. It lasted less than a year, how rubbish is that?

Anyway, I've fitted a new one which spins the engine over nicely, but now the car fails to fire up. It worked perfectly well before the motor failed. All I've removed is the AFM, throttle body and the hose in-between them, so not much to mess up. The only cock-up I made was I accidently left a piece of rag in the oil filler hole, which I placed the cap over; before I started it the first time (before noticing it and removing it!). Could this be the source of my problem, where it couldn't vent properly and have I gone and oiled up places where oil shouldn't be? The oil on the dip-stick was covering a good 20cm of it, so it looks like it was under more pressure than it normally would be.

I haven't check the firing of the plugs yet, as a bout of man-flu is holding me back at the mo...

M@tt

double check you've plugged all the connectors back in, TPS and afm plug.

Sounds very much like one of those is probably loose. I doubt the rag is going to have caused any problems at all.

If they both appear to be plugged in ok, whip a spark plug out and with it still connected to the HT lead check whether its sparking against the block when you crank it over.

mr_exe

Have disturbed the injector wiring perhaps?

davemar

I did whip out the spark plugs and they was covered in petrol, so the injectors are working. Obviously a bit flooded, so I wiped them down, but still no start.

I'll try and check for a spark in the morning.

davemar

Looks like it was all oil and petrol soaked. I tried starting her this morning and she finally fired up with a big puff of smoke, then started running run well after a few seconds once all the crap had cleared. So it looks like the overnight rest let all the fluids settle back down.

Sign in to follow this