• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Drivershaft - Osf. It Won't Come Off!

Rupertfinch

As stated in the title, despite removing half the shaft, the remainder is still refusing to budge from the gearbox.

I have loosened (and actually removed one of ) the little weird nut things that are near the bottom engine mount, but it ain't shifting!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I was planning on heading over to my parents garage soon to try to work on it further.

Mark.

grandos

You need to remove both of those 'little weird nut things' ;) from the bottom engine mount as they hold the middle bearing in place and the driveshaft will not budge till they are out.

DrSarty

Yep, the intermediate bearing has 2 'hockey stick' shaped bolts in, where the heads keep the driveshaft in place. Remove them both.

Masekwm

Get both hockey bolts out and use a drift to knock it free ;)

steve@cornwall
Get both hockey bolts out and use a drift to knock it free ;)

There's no need to remove these bolts (not sure you can remove the inner one in- situ) but they must both be rotated once loosened through 180 deg.May take a heavy hammer to drift it loose

Pob
There's no need to remove these bolts (not sure you can remove the inner one in- situ) but they must both be rotated once loosened through 180 deg.May take a heavy hammer to drift it loose

If you find wacking it doesn't remove it, try a bit of heat... if it still doesn't come out, you can remove the rear engine mount completely along with the drive shaft, takes a bit of 'waggling' but it's do able. Then you can give it a good wacking

Dan

mr_exe

I've had the intermediate bearing on the shaft seized into the house and have resorted to taking the mounting off the engine block to remove the driveshaft from the gearbox, and unseizing the bearing before refitting

Baz

^ That's what i had to do with one, but the shaft was still in the mount on an engine/box removed from car but tbh never had a problem removing them directly from the car. Some WD40/Duck oil/plus gas and time should help etc if you've definitely got the eliptical bolts out of the way, and given it a good tap all the way round to try and free it, i can't see any other way that removing the mount completely.

jengis

Yeah,

It was an unexpected and frustrating snag, one of those "this will take about an hour or so but takes best part of the afternoon just hitting it as hard as you can" type jobs!

;)

it will come off!

Peetypug

i found getting underneath the car and getting a wedge/chisel in between the mount and driveshaft works well.

Rupertfinch

Well chaps, It's as if I should never have bothered posting in the first place as when I get round to my folks, my old man greets me with a grin and the remaining bit of the shaft in his paw!

He only removed one of the little 'hockey sticks' - loving the name Sarty! - and merely give it a little whack with a hammer and out it popped.

Now removing the hubnut from the hub carrier (which had already been removed attempting to fir new struts) was an epic that involved welding, grunting, a vice and a bit of scaffold pole - thankfully he did that himself as well. Parents who like motors - you can't beat 'em!

Dear Lord, the next time I go over he'll probably have it back on the road!

grandos

Result!

miamichris

funny, my car stays at my dads and every time I get back there to do some work, he has done NOTHING to it <_<

wish he would, and get the project moving a bit! there aren't enough hours in the day! though an update should be along sometime in the next few weeks as some slow progress has been made! good luck with the motor rupertfinch! ;)

petesy71

nice one mark, i've been reading your topics with interest, hope it all goes well for you, cheers, pete.

mr_exe

Well done to your old man for helping you out. I nearly always remove the 'hockey stick' bolts as they have a habit of moving back in the way.

Sign in to follow this