• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Wrong Way Round Torsion Bars?

Atari Boy

beam-built-1.jpg

Have I put my torsion bars in the wrong way then? The yellow markings are where the bars are now, one stripe for right, two for left.

Before painting the bars I noted where the original markings were and repainted them in the same place..

Should they be where the red markings are instead?

Help!

Thanks

Jonny

GTI6BOY

dont matter which way round they go mate

Jrod

Theres a good chance it does, bending it one way then the other can only cause problems imo.

yorkshirekowboy
Theres a good chance it does, bending it one way then the other can only cause problems imo.

yeah like bearing/shaft wear, also uneven suspension around corners :wacko:

M@tt

i never thought it mattered which way round they went either

however they do list the bars with seperate part numbers, one as left one as right.??

yorkshirekowboy
i never thought it mattered which way round they went either

however they do list the bars with seperate part numbers, one as left one as right.??

what i said above, i read some where, and when you think about it, it could, i beleive they are stressed to turn only one direction, ie, one right, one left.

Edited by surferkid205

M@tt

tbh i really cant see it making any difference what so ever though, i've never hard of any torsion bars failing and i would think you's have to keep swapping them round a fair few times and giving them some serious abuse before you'd get anywhere near (if at all) their yield failure point (like bending a paperclip repeatedly)

pug_ham
dont matter which way round they go mate

It does imo, they must be marked up & have different part numbers from Peugeot for each side for a reason.

Looking at your picture if the yellow marks are as they are now then they are fitted to the wrong/ different sides from how you took them apart. You've got one stripe for left & two for right.

This topic shows what could be the cause of fitting them the wrong way round after 15-20 years of being fitted so they are twisting in one direction.

Graham.

Stu

It might not have mattered which way round they went when they were new, but 20 years of flexural loading would have work hardened them in one direction; just like how in the olden days you wouldnt swap a half shaft from one side of the axle to another.

Atari Boy

Okay thanks for the comments. You nhave all confirmed what I thought, they are in the wrong way.

Better to find out now than later or not at all though.

Thanks

Jonny

de Noir

Sorry for kidnaping your topic Atari Boy, something just occured to me.

It does imo, they must be marked up & have different part numbers from Peugeot for each side for a reason.

Looking at your picture if the yellow marks are as they are now then they are fitted to the wrong/ different sides from how you took them apart. You've got one stripe for left & two for right.

This topic shows what could be the cause of fitting them the wrong way round after 15-20 years of being fitted so they are twisting in one direction.

Graham.

A quote from that topic:

One thing we did think strange is that it only had less than an inch of suspenion movement and noticed it was really stiff going over the bumps on the road dow to the hill, but not having insurnance or tax until the day before the event we hadn't checked it on the road.

While tinkering around my project, moving her fore and aft in the garage I noticed unusually small rear suspension travel and tail being very stiff.

On completely rebuilt rear beam with standard dampers.

And I'm constantly having issues with rear ride height, as proven dummy lengths turn out wrong in my case.

Could these symptoms signal TBs fitted wrong way?

My TB markings were lost at sandblasters long time ago and really haven't thought of marking them appropriately. :wacko:

I guess there is no other way to tell which side is which, but to measure wheel-to-trim distance, break and refit again with same dummy length and check distance again? Alternatives maybe?

Edited by MH_

DamirGTI

Graham.

How about 205 beam Graham ? :) is it the same torsion bar routing by the yellow markings as on the 309 beam ?

I have like this :

beam-built-1.jpg

..sorry for crap presentation :) im not so much of an Photoshop artist ..

Anyway , i have on my Ph 1 car (however i bought this beam for my Ph1 car as replacement item on scrappy so i dunno from which year or the Ph1/Ph2 version is it , but it was in absolutely mint rarely seen condition ..) :

4 white (3 of them are close to each oder and one is separate ..) + 1 yellow dots on the LH bar

3 white + 2 yellow dots on the RH bar

On my other Ph2 car :

3 white + 1 yellow dots on the LH bar

3 white + 2 yellow dots on the RH bar

And i also have this on my Ph2 car (cracked on both sides LH and RH ..) :

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

Baz

Cracked discs is common when they're drilled.

welshpug

this marking system is the same on all PSA torsion bars :)

pug_ham
How about 205 beam Graham ? ;) is it the same torsion bar routing by the yellow markings as on the 309 beam ?

this marking system is the same on all PSA torsion bars ^_^

:ph34r:

Graham.

Sign in to follow this