• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattbenselin

Spare Wheel Thoughts

mattbenselin

Hi all

Just wondering about what my options are for a spare wheel? I can use one of my alloys but would prefer something less valuable to me and preferably which weighs as little as possible.

I tried a steel from a base 205 which was lighter (only about 2" thick with tyre!!!) but the carrier was much bigger. So I thought about a weight saving spare from somethink like a 206 and then pad out the carrier or use some custom cut foam to sit the wheel in.

Anyone tried this, know if it would work (ie the 206 wheel would fit correctly) or has any advice at all that would be great?

Thanks, Matt

Rom

I havent ever had a spare.

Car never came with one, and bracket used to make a racket ! So i ditched it.

I carry a special kit that includes compressor, and the gunk that you put inside. Its good stuff, Toyota use it.

If you really want one, rather than padding it out. How abotu cutting and re welding the bracket to take the narrower width ?

pug_ham

I don't run my GTi with a spare & didn't on my STDT either but if you want a lightweight spare then the best you can get is either a 6 x 14 or 15 michelin steel rim from a 106 S2 rallye or 306 GTi-6 / Rallye.

Graham.

munster

I just carry a can of Holts Tyre Weld. Weighs alot less than a wheel :D

Paintguy
I just carry a can of Holts Tyre Weld. Weighs alot less than a wheel :D

Yep, more and more cars are coming without spare wheels nowadays, as a tin of 'gunk' and a little compressor take up much less space and weight.

mattbenselin

You don't think a space saver would be any good then? Assumed it would be lighter option...

welshpug

I'd rather have the wheel there tbh, the only place weight saving is necessary is on track, there's only so much a can of goo can do.

projectpug

I would just do the goo things if its good enough for clio cups then its good enough for me. Get the larger car though just to make sure and im sure it would get you home or to a tyre fitting centre :D

dirtdog

I thought that the goo stuff was only meant as a temp' fix? As in it's meant to get you a few miles to the nearest tyre garage where it should be change.

Would it not unbalance the wheel etc? Then when you do get to the garage, the tyre is full of goo making it a bit of a pain if you want the hole plugged(nail holes etc)

I'd rather a spare. As rom said..cut the cage and re-weld to your required size.

chris1986

i'd go with the 106 rallye steel aswell. and avoid the gunk stuff as what would you do if you had a blow out miles from anywhere and no phone signal.

Arahan

Echo the above comment, no substitute for DEFINATELY being able to drive off.

Batfink

why dont you just get a low spec 205 model tyre from a scrappy and nick the tyre holder off the same car. Lightweight and everything goes straight on.

mr_exe

At the moment I use a Saxo steel spare with the spacers welded on so I can use they alloy wheel bolts. However my jack lives in a 'pizza box' that goes inside the wheel. Because of this my spare wheel hangs down below the rear valance which does annoy me. I'm think of either thinner wheel and tyres like a 206 spacesaver or a basic Citroen BX steel, and carrying 4 steel wheel bolts in the pizza box

hexhamstu
At the moment I use a Saxo steel spare with the spacers welded on so I can use they alloy wheel bolts. However my jack lives in a 'pizza box' that goes inside the wheel. Because of this my spare wheel hangs down below the rear valance which does annoy me. I'm think of either thinner wheel and tyres like a 206 spacesaver or a basic Citroen BX steel, and carrying 4 steel wheel bolts in the pizza box

i just scrapped a 205 with 4 bx steels on and one in the boot, f***ing wish i had kept them now, this seems like such a good idea! mainly because i dont have a spare alloy with tyre, although thinking about it i dont think my HDI brakes would fit under a steely.

1 FAT PUG
I'd rather have the wheel there tbh, the only place weight saving is necessary is on track, there's only so much a can of goo can do.

exactly, i was stranded one night as i got a puncture and got my tyre stuff out put it in but the tyre had been slashed by glass or whatever so it was just oozing out the side wall

mattbenselin

I recently scrapped a base model 205 which had 4 steels and a small (smaller than GTI) spare cage on it, sods law at it again, eh hexhamstu! I do however have 1 base 205 steel around somewhere, which does fit over standard 1.9/1.6 brakes and weighs a little less than an alloy. Also when I removed my spare alloy it was so dirty, using a steel who cares. Just need to get hold of a base model spare wheel carrier now

dirtdog

I just tighten the cradle up and it holds it nice. I've used 13" , 14" and 15" in it and never had problems. The spare doesn't bounce around or anything!

Why would you want to remove weight from the rear anyway? (another topic I know)

Sign in to follow this