• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Trail Arm Shaft Diameters?

Ricardo

Can anyone tell me what the diameters are of the bearing surfaces on the 517617 Trailing arm shaft please? Or the internal running Dia of the bearings?

As my shafts are goosed I'm gonna try and turn them down to clean them up and maybe sleeve them if poss! Nothing to loose other than a bit of time, unless anyone knows why this may be a no-no!

Thanks

Rich

Tom Fenton

I tried something similar, I ground mine, welded them to gain some material, and then turned them down, see topic.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...991&hl=beam

It seems touch wood to have worked fine, been in the car 1500miles or so now.

Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the size, something like 47.something mm rings a bell but obviously thats no bloddy use to you, sorry!

Ricardo
Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the size, something like 47.something mm rings a bell but obviously thats no bloddy use to you, sorry!

Hey 47.anything would be better than the mess that came out! I read your thread...good job done! I've sleeved shafts before for bearings to run on but they were much bigger (ships prop shafts!) so not sure if taking dia down 6mm then sleeving would weeken it :huh:

pug_ham

The measurement I have for the radius arm shaft diameter is 47mm dead.

Backed up by this post

Graham.

Ricardo

Cheers Graham.

You don't have the inner bearing running diameter perchance?

Thanks again

Richard

pug_ham

I think its approx 40mm but I can't find my calipers to check one exactly.

Graham.

Ricardo
I think its approx 40mm but I can't find my calipers to check one exactly.

Graham.

Could it be 42mm? Mine measure 41.8mm and are chewed up.

Flix

42mm sounds right.

When I refurbished my beam I skimmed the shafts and made a set of Phospher Bronze bushes to suit.

They can be made with a grease feed too. Been in now for 8 months and are still good.

Ricardo
42mm sounds right.

When I refurbished my beam I skimmed the shafts and made a set of Phospher Bronze bushes to suit.

They can be made with a grease feed too. Been in now for 8 months and are still good.

Cool. How much did you skim off? What thickness were your bushes?

I presume these were interference fit so shafts heated and bushes cooled to get em on?

pug_ham

42mm does ring a bell with some measurements I had for the inner bearings which I can't find anymore.

I've got phosphur bronze bushes fitted to my 309 GTi beam & they are interference fit into the centre tube (gentle tap to fit) but close clearance fit for the radius arm shafts through the bushes so they stiff move freely. I honed my bushes with wet & dry when they were in the beam tube until the radius arm shafts moved smoothly & freely enough for me.

Graham.

Flix
Cool. How much did you skim off? What thickness were your bushes?

I presume these were interference fit so shafts heated and bushes cooled to get em on?

Can't remember the exact sizes, should have a sketch at work.

I skimmed minimum off the shafts and made them 0.1 mm clear.

Flix

Found my sketch.

For standard shafts. I found these sizes on here somewhere, taken from bearings.

Inner bush, 49/49.05 OD, 42.1/42.15 ID, 22 mm wide (can be wider)

Outer bush, 53.15/53.2 OD, 47.1/47.15 ID, 21.9 mm wide.

If you skim the shafts, bore the bushes 0.1/0.15mm clear.

Ricardo

Cheers Flix. Good info.

I've just had a reply from Constella who can supply used crossmember tube for £55. They have shafts at same price used! Could I not get shafts new around that price?

Thanks again all for the advice, more the merrier!

benlilly
I honed my bushes with wet & dry when they were in the beam tube until the radius arm shafts moved smoothly & freely enough for me.

Graham.

How did you get at the inner bushes? They are a bit of a way down to make honing easy.

Ben

Ricardo

Graham, Am I right in thinking you used Phosy bronze bushed instead of bearings?

I was thinking of turning shafts down fitting steel bushes on, then skimming down to standard size for bearings.

pug_ham
How did you get at the inner bushes? They are a bit of a way down to make honing easy.

Ben I only fitted bushes in place of the outer bearings, I fitted well greased new Peugeot bearings to the inners.

Graham, Am I right in thinking you used Phosy bronze bushed instead of bearings?

Ricardo, yes I did use phosphur bronse bushes in place of the outer bearings. Radius arm shaft condition isn't as important that way.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this