• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Magnex Manifold Felxi Joint - Replacing It

DirtyFlare

I need a new flexi joint for my magnex manifold as the knuckle joint is shagged. Where have people brought them from?

Ive seen a few on ebay but none are the right size or length. I'm after a 50mm OD by 130mm long flexi joint. The length can be slightly longer if need be though.

hengti

can't remember it, but i'm sure i've posted the part number of a Bosal SS flexi joint on here in the past - might be worth a quick search. 265707 or similar? anyway, it's the perfect size

jackherer
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50mm-X-150mm-CLAMP-O...%3A1|240%3A1318

What about this? Or is this what you have found and no good? These work better than the magnex one by allowing more movement therefore reducing strain on the flange welds.

They're very good, I put one on a system that would instantly blow from every joint if it was hit on a speedramp or something but now can take all sorts of abuse without leaks.

djinuk

I used that exact product in that link on mine, had it fully welded in and my manifold to center pipe has been fine since.

th_13022007119.jpg

mattbenselin

Are the clamp on flexi sections ok (ie they don't leak) or should you get a weld on one? I don't have access to welding stuff and tbh would prob cock it up anyway!

DirtyFlare
I used that exact product in that link on mine, had it fully welded in and my manifold to center pipe has been fine since.

Ahh ok, but isnt it too sort for the centre section to clamp onto? or did you just cut the knuckle joint out of the magnex manifold, then cut the length of pipe that the centre section of the exhuast clamps onto, then weld them together? If that makes sense :blush:

Basically cut out the knuckle joint, welded the new flexi hose in place, cut the length of pipe that the centre section locations on off the knuckle joint, then weld that onto the new flexi joint? That seems clearer :lol:

mattbenselin

Think you just answered your own question there :blush:

hengti

some flexis come with a short length of pipe either end of the joint that make it a little easier (ie. just need to cut the pipe of one end and weld that to the manifold). clamping something on isn't going to work as the only way to get rid of the knuckle joint is to cut it off (leaving you nothing to clamp to)

Edited by hengti

mattbenselin

In my situation I don't have a knuckle joint just need to connect two exhaust pipes. Can either use a solid piece of tube or was thinking to reduce wear a flexi joint. So I have the space to clamp a flexi on, I just was curious if they clamp on work well, or should I get a weld on and do that instead?

Cheers, Matt

hengti

^don't see why not, providing it's a tight sleeve into the two pipes and you can seal it effectively. personally, i wouldn't introduce any more flexible joints into the system than are needed and just sleeve the pipes together if you've already got some sort of flexible joint at the end of the manifold

mattbenselin

The only joint that's flexible will be the sprung standard manifold-downpipe one. Wanted to add another to reduce wear on manifold. worth it or not?

hengti

i wouldn't have thought so if the existing felxible joint allows enough movement. main reason i'd not bother is that, apart from the extra effort, flexis (of the type shown earlier) will droop slightly with the weight of the system on the end of them and, whilst you can angle one up slightly when welding it on, you couldn't if bolting one on. that's probably not a big deal in practise, but i can't see the need for a second flexi - ?

Edited by hengti

Sign in to follow this