• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Mi16 Installation

Dave_McC

I've searched but I'm struggling to find the right answer. My Mi installation is going well, and I now need to sort out fuel pipes before fitting the Mi lump. The fuel rail input is 10mm dia. The outlet from the fuel rail running under the car (after removing the pipe from the fitting) looks like it would fit 7.6mm pipe quite well.

At the moment I've bought a 106 / 306GTI fuel filter - which looks like it suits the 7.6mm fuel pipe - though I'm still looking for a better solution of a filter to fit in the existing location but with tails rather than banjo fittings - currently investigating Impreza turbo one which has 2 tails on the top.

Anyhow, how do I connect the 7.6mm tail on the filter to the 10mm fitting on the fuel rail?

Cheers

Dave

large

Just get a 10mm banjo fitting, or do the pipe up tight as fook.

jackherer
or do the pipe up tight as fook.

FFS, only do that if you want your car to catch fire :lol:

Speak to a Hydraulics supplier or Miles on here for a proper 10mm banjo, they are only pennies.

large

Thats why i said to get a banjo fitting :lol:

Dave_McC

Hmm - that would be great if I hadn't already cut the existing rubber pipe off its fitting where it joins the metal pipe - following advice on here from people who have fitted the 106 / 306 filter. It was only then that I compared the different pipe diameters and realised I had a problem - it looks like I'll need 10mm dia to fit over the fuel rail, but can't see that I'm going to be able to tighten that enough to seal over a 7.6mm pipe (the outlet of the fuel filter).

Seeing as I know people on here have fitted the 106/306 filter, how did you do it?

Cheers

Dave

large

Why do you want to fit a 106/306 filter? Is it that much better than the 205 one. I just stuck with the 205 filter and changed the banjo.

Fuel pipe is cheep as chips just buy a meter, for the banjo and the pipe it should come to less then £10.

nick

I used a filter off of a vectra on mine, same size tails as the Mi fuel rail. Just go to a motor factors and see what they have on the shelf.

Nick

Baz

Corsa ones are also the same. :lol:

GLPoomobile

On mine I've used 8mm stainless steel braided hose. I somehow managed to completely overlook the fact that the fuel rail was a larger fitting when I ordered up the hose. It was a bit of a struggle getting the hose on to the fuel rail (mainly due to the overbraid), but at least it's a tight fit :lol: . Had no leaking from it.

I'd not recomend using hose that is not the right size for the fitting used, and I have no idea what the long term implications are for my hose from being stretched over the fitting, but I made the choice to just go with it anyway.

mr_exe

I've used 8mm braided on mine, bit of an arse to get on the fuel rail, but I suppose a tight fit is better than a loose one.

Edited by mr_exe

Dave_McC

Update for anyone else doing this - Demon Tweeks sell an adaptor that's 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other - only about £1.50. Ordered one which arrived today so hopefully if it's not raining tomorrow I'll get the fuel filter and piping fitted.

Dave

Baz

Or PM Miles and get the fuel filter banjo adapter from him, less joins in the fuel system the better IMO. :rolleyes:

bensonmi
Update for anyone else doing this - Demon Tweeks sell an adaptor that's 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other - only about £1.50. Ordered one which arrived today so hopefully if it's not raining tomorrow I'll get the fuel filter and piping fitted.

Dave

just what iv been looking for! this site rocks! :)

Sign in to follow this