• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Steering Since 309 Wishbones Etc

Tommer

Hi All

my 205 is now legally on the road and lovely!

I never had the chance to drive it before swapping the front wishbones and rear beam for 309 ones, as the car needed lots of work.

Now that I am driving it (alot) i notice that when turning the steering feels heavier at certain degrees of turning, and makes a clicking at full lock.

I am guessing the clicking is the old driveshafts, (still got the 205 ones in at the mo) and I have ordered 309 ones to replace them, jut got to get around to doing it. but the heaviness of the suspension and its urgent to jump back to straight when turning can worry me somewhat.

can anyone offer some words of wisdom? is it mean to do this?

PS, my 205 still starts and idles in the Frost :wacko:

cheers,

tommer

Edited by Tommer

Tom Fenton

Have you set the tracking since changing the wishbones?

Goliath

I echo Tom's comment, It sounds like the tracking is very much out, almost certainly toeing out. IMO very dangerous to drive with the tracking out as it can alter the direction of the car depending on which front wheel has grip i.e. if you go through a puddle with one wheel. Especially in this weather.

My advice would be to go and get it tracked by your local garage, it is possible to set tracking yourself but i would reccommend spending £25 and having it done by a garage.

Tommer

hi guys,

I manually tracked it at home, as after the 309 wishbones went on it was quite obviously out.

then took it to a garage and they laser tracked it, was about £24.

They did however track it as a 205 according to their chart and set it to that, should they have set it to a 309 or would this not make any difference?

tommer

Jrod

won't make any diff as they will of just set it to 0.

jackherer
I manually tracked it at home, as after the 309 wishbones went on it was quite obviously out.

Did you adjust by an equal amount on each track rod end?

Tommer

yes did equal amounts both side so that the steering wheel was straight.

Batfink

the extra camber will make the steering heavier at certain angles.

Tommer

that might explain it then! ;) cheers

Sign in to follow this