• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chalky143

How Much More Power Can A 1.9 Gti Genty Take?

Tesstuff

Do you know what , this thread has given me all the answers to my problem last year.

I went from standard Gentry front suspension to lowered GTi suspension and it went down a lot lower than anyone predicted, it looked totally perfect but was infact rubbing on the outside edge.

No one could understand why , as various GTi's were all a good 20mm higher on the same equpiment.I now know it is the extra weight of the gearbox that made the difference.

Great to finally get an answer to a long standing puzzle B)

cybernck

this ancient 4HP-14 gearbox - is it a "self contained" unit?

what i mean is - if i took a complete gearbox off one and also added the gearstick

and kickdown cable off it, would it work in a GTI/CTI (;)) in plug'n'play fashion? :P

i don't think that a XU9JAZ'd GTI would be too slow with it on. my 307 with an EW10J4

engine has 136 bhp and 190 nm but carrying 1350 kg's of weight and it's not too slow

for normal driving at all. a 900-ish kg 120-ish bhp 205 should be pretty rapid with

a similar gearbox on (compared to the 307, not 205 though!).

it definitely wouldn't be a GTI anymore though B).

theoretically :P.

jackherer
The standard gentry gearbox is huge lol Coupled with the torque converter thingy that sits in place of the manual flywheel and clutch and it must all be a good 50kg. Certainly didnt enjoy removing one thats for sure.

I doubt new ones will be smaller especially if they are more rugged.

The 4HP20 on 406 V6s is nearly as heavy as a 4 cyl engine, I had to use a crane to get it in and out.

Tesstuff

The more i hear about the weight of them the more i think Miles has the right idea, just make them as near to 1.9GTi power as possible and thats that.

My dreams of a Gentry with a 306 GTi engine and an autobox seem ever more distant lol

cybernck

could you take a video of your car, driving through gears in various conditions?

i've never been out in a 205 automatic :wacko:.

thanks.

Tesstuff

I will do my best for you :)

If the weather is good over the weekend i can go out and have a play on my private land :wacko:

Miles

I'll have to see if the bigger Auto box fit's in the 205 bay, won;t be for a while thou due to all my other projects

Tesstuff
I'll have to see if the bigger Auto box fit's in the 205 bay, won;t be for a while thou due to all my other projects

*Sigh* how i wish you were my brother Miles :wacko:

johno_78
The standard gentry gearbox is huge lol Coupled with the torque converter thingy that sits in place of the manual flywheel and clutch and it must all be a good 50kg. Certainly didnt enjoy removing one thats for sure.

I doubt new ones will be smaller especially if they are more rugged.

I didn't find the autobox to be that much heavier compared to the manual.

The auto i've got from an XM turbo is a lot heavier though and has a larger and heavier torque converter too. I've compared the XM and 205 box side to side and i reckon the XM box will drop straight in. It will however reduce the steering lock, as it is longer, much the same as the Gti6 gearbox does. I'll take a pic over the weekend of the two together.

this ancient 4HP-14 gearbox - is it a "self contained" unit?

what i mean is - if i took a complete gearbox off one and also added the gearstick

and kickdown cable off it, would it work in a GTI/CTI (:wacko:) in plug'n'play fashion? :)

It is that simple mechanically. The only problem is the inhibitor switch, which could be bypassed, but that would mean you could start the car while in gear.

could you take a video of your car, driving through gears in various conditions?

i've never been out in a 205 automatic ;).

thanks.

I've got no road going footage, but this is what mine is like on a sprint track. I keep it held in 2nd though. Clicky

cybernck

your other videos were more helpful actually :D.

gearshift is a little bit slow and the autobox definitely takes away the GTI character,

but i reckon it wouldn't be half-bad for a daily driver, a car loaded with ICE or if you

need to have an auto car for any other reason.

pics of 4HP-14 box and internals and be found on this page:

MVC-396S.JPG

http://www.vlovepeugeot.com/meeting2pic5.html

can we establish what sort of driveshafts are required?

cheers.

cybernck

a couple of pics of AL4 gearbox for the reference:

Boite-004W50.jpg

boite%20peugeot.JPG

not quite possible to (easily) retrofit on a 205, as it's ECU requires a number of inputs from the ECU / sensors.

Tesstuff
your other videos were more helpful actually ;).

gearshift is a little bit slow and the autobox definitely takes away the GTI character,

but i reckon it wouldn't be half-bad for a daily driver, a car loaded with ICE or if you

can we establish what sort of driveshafts are required?

cheers.

Gearshift is ok for an old car, but compared to modern equipment it is like a snail :D You are spot on about the character, it is by no means a Gti with an autobox, to me its like an XS model with the box, and i would bet the performance figures are not too far apart.

The driveshafts on the Gentry are the same as the 1.6 Gti. In fact the 1.6 Gti provides virtually everything bar the engine for the Gentry.

As a daily driver(i potter round Leicester going from client to client)it is almost the perfect car, light and nippy and fully able to hold its own , plus its immense fun.

Also with the top gear gearing being far better than the 1.9 Gti , it is able to cruise on the motorways at a much quieter and relaxed cruise.

Gentry's and the autobox have their uses :D

johno_78
your other videos were more helpful actually :).

Gearshift is ok for an old car, but compared to modern equipment it is like a snail :lol: You are spot on about the character, it is by no means a Gti with an autobox, to me its like an XS model with the box, and i would bet the performance figures are not too far apart.

The driveshafts on the Gentry are the same as the 1.6 Gti. In fact the 1.6 Gti provides virtually everything bar the engine for the Gentry.

As a daily driver(i potter round Leicester going from client to client)it is almost the perfect car, light and nippy and fully able to hold its own , plus its immense fun.

Also with the top gear gearing being far better than the 1.9 Gti , it is able to cruise on the motorways at a much quieter and relaxed cruise.

Gentry's and the autobox have their uses :)

I thought my other vids would be more useful, but i wanted to show that one off as it upset the s7vern drivers that got beaten by an auto.

Now i have driven both auto's and manuals on road and track, i agree that they do give different characters to the car. Around town the auto is great, especially in stop, start traffic. On the open road, the manual feel of the car was more enjoyable.

On the track, the manual has better acceleration from rest due to the lower and closer ratios and is slightly faster from the corners. However, with the auto, i can brake later and harder as i dont need to worry about changing down the gears, and i can keep both hands on the wheel which gives me better control. So, for me, i prefer the feel of the auto on a track.

chalky143

sorry to bring this topic up again lol, but what is different apart from the gearbox, between the gentry engine and the normal engine. I know there are de-tuned for the gearbox, but what is de-tuned on them?

thankyou

leon

Miles

They are not De-tuned, It's just the std Low Comp 1.9 Cat engine found in the Gentry, CTi and from memory the 1.9 Rallye (Non UK) and no doubt a few other's too

But the head uses small valves, Large volume comb. chamber's and a mild cam, Flat top piston's and thats about it

Sign in to follow this