• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

Expansion Tank?

NeilGTi85

Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a new header tank to replace the one piece 306 one (will be moving the battery to the boot & the ECU somewhere :) )

Does it matter what the capacity is of the tank??

I've seen this one from sm-engineering http://www.sm-engineering.co.uk/alloy_header_tank.php

Anyone else done this?

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by NeilGTi85

Garry

I haven't done it yet, but I have been thinking about it.

The outlet of the 205 header tank is 19-20mm, this one seems a little small at 13mm.

NeilGTi85

I'm also thinking about ditching the heater matrix and doing away with the header tank......as Dan Taylor has done.

I'll do a little more research :)

Neil

(Edit - I'm not sure if Dan has removed the heater matrix or not, I thought you would need one if you did away with the header/expansion tank?? )

Edited by NeilGTi85

andychalmers

Let me know what you find out mate as im after a alloy one for my rally car. Would like one same size as standard tho to make sure all pipes fit etc but so far not found 1.

andychalmers

Since my last comment I've rang a alloy fabrication company to see if they will make a direct fitment header tank for the 205. If so I may organise a group buy, Bailey do a 205 direct replacement for about £145. This new one should be half that price. So will keep you posted.

Cameron

I used a Rover 200 expansion tank on mine (6/Mi hybrid, no heater) and it works very nicely. It only has 1 outlet at the bottom so perfect for ditching the heater and it's pretty much the right size. Much cleaner than the crappy 205 one, plus the Rover mount fits quite nicely against the 205 firewall so it almost looks standard. It's not alloy, but at was only £5! :)

15052008428.jpg

Sign in to follow this