• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Fuel Gauge Needle Position

Rom

Evening.

Another question while i think of it.

My fuel gauge needled seems to be in the wrong place. As if someone has taken it off and moved it back almost 1/4 of a tank.

When the ignition is off, all dials drop to there set place, but fuel gauge goes off the red. The fuel light doesnt come on until the gauge has gone way past the red. Like totally off the scale.

Ill take some pics tom as i left the car at work.

It reads very slowly, and erratically. So i think it would benefit from a new sender. But i dotn think that would make the needle go so low on the gauge ?

paul_portsmouth

mine does this as well

i can leave the house with no petrol next road have 1/4 then half get to destiantion and back to 1/4

GLPoomobile

As I was saying just the other day, on my current one I can drive for ages past the empty mark before the light will come on. My 3 previous GTIs would have the light coming on about 30 miles after getting to the empty mark.

And on my current one, from a full tank it will stay on the full mark for just under 100 miles before dropping. Whereas the previous 3 would stay on the full mark for well over 100 miles before dropping.

It's possible it has been moved, but TBH they are all a guessometer at anything under half a tank anyway. I find it's better to learn your own car's fuel consumption habbits, then just estimate how much you have left in the tank by how many miles you've done since filling up.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Rom

Yeah, when i got mine, i thought the light was broken ! I finally drove round with spare fuel long past the red and it finally came on :)

Heres a pic of where it rests when off.

post-7946-1225482220_thumb.jpg

And with ign on. I put £40 of V Power in about 110 miles ago when the light was flickering.

post-7946-1225482245_thumb.jpg

At least i know its not just my car then. Thought someone might have been fiddling :wacko:

Sign in to follow this