• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Improving Emerald (very) Cold Start

Bonzai

is there a way i can do this without needing a lambda sensor (ive not got one). otherwise can someone suggest how to rig up a choke cable :lol:

Cameron

Yeah, you need a laptop and a cable but it's quite doable. Tells you how to do it in the manual, you just need to trim the fuelling down a bit (probably a lot) in the coolant enrichment section.

Tom Fenton

Without a wideband lamdba you will be guessing on which way to adjust things. They have really come down in price now, and mine is one of the most useful things I've ever bought.

Bonzai

link to where i can buy one at a good price (please :lol:)

Tom Fenton

Ebay is as good a place as any to start, I have an AEM wideband sensor, all the gubbins is built into the gauge making it a compact and easy to use thing. Others include Innovate who make them, I've not used their one though.

Cameron

Well, yeah.. it is guess work but you can get it set up well enough to improve cold starting, which is what he was after. Finding which way to adjust it is easy, you just trim it one way and if it gets worse then trim it the other way. I've done this on mine and it took minutes, so I'd recommend trying this free option before you fork out on a wideband lambda and the remap you will probably need with it.

Edited by Cameron

Bonzai

just remembered about the lack of serial port on my laptop. does anyone have any experience with a usb>serial converter with emerald?

Cameron

Yeah, I got one off ebay for £3! Worked a treat. :ph34r:

RossD

Yep, I've done this already with my Emerald. I've got a Techedge 2J1 wideband, but I havent taken much notice of that for the cold start, I've just got it running nicely. I've given it about 10 degrees more advance up until about 50 degrees coolant temp, about 20% more fuel. The ignition advance raise the idle speed nicely and the extra fuel makes it run smoothly. The lambda is reading about 11.9 - 12.2 during this time, falling to 14.5 or so at about 75 degrees at tickover.

Its quite easy to do once you start fiddling and seeing what all the settings do!

Bonzai

I bought a usb>rs232 off ebay on the cheap but the damn thing wont install the drivers and the cd that came with it is of limited use (my AV virus software throws a wobbly at it which doesnt help) any suggestions anyone?

RossD

Configure your AV so that it adds the install program \ drivers to its "safe" or "ignore" list and they should then run fine.

Daz_C
you just need to trim the fuelling down a bit (probably a lot) in the coolant enrichment section.

Would this be the Injection Correction table on the K3 software ?

I'm struggling to get mine to start from the cold...... well not struggling as such, it starts and when it has it runs steady and fine. Its just the initial firing it takes about 10 rotations of the starter (if you know what I mean) before it fires. Once it fires up I can turn it off straight away and it will then start first turn of the key every time. Its only when it has been sat for a fair amount of time this occurs. :lol:

Can/Do I adjust the settings in the Initial Inj Prime Table ? If so what kind of figure would I be looking at as a start point ?

At the moment its set at 0 across the board but originally at the temps in my garage which is around 10-15 degree the setting at that point was 10ms. I know what ms means but I don't understand how much an ms is :D Is it alot ?

Or is there another area I should be looking ?

I know its not a major problem but it niggles me abit and I imagine it can be cured with abit of messing in the right area ? :rolleyes:

Cheers for any help :D

Edited by Daz_C

Sandy

I've sent you a revision to try Daz.

Daz_C
I've sent you a revision to try Daz.

Cheers Sandy :)

Your a Star :huh:

Bonzai

any chance of sharing the wealth of knowledge? im not really sure where to start!

i got my ebay special usb to serial converter working today. i needed a different driver to make it compatable with vista which isnt on the cd supplied but can be found here http://wch.cn/download/list.asp?id=65. for future referance

Sandy

I can only really offer a revision for an engine/map I'm familiar with. It would be near impossible for me to improve one I'm not, sorry.

Daz_C
any chance of sharing the wealth of knowledge? im not really sure where to start!

I've not tried the map Sandy sent yet as I've been messing with the Rev Counter trying to get it to work more accuratly/properly.

But initially I copied the settings of the Injection Corrections upto 20degree (where my issue was) off the base map for the BX16v which can be found in the Emerald Software. Doing that improved the starting considerably.

Bonzai
I can only really offer a revision for an engine/map I'm familiar with. It would be near impossible for me to improve one I'm not, sorry.

ofcourse i couldnt expect that, but some sort of ides of where to start. there are a lot of windows which all appear to be relative to what i might need to change i.e. coolant temp, air temp, idle control.... or do i just faff around in live adjustments?

in the idle control page its set to control it with the advance, with a max ign trim of 25deg and update rate of 5.

i cant remember for certain but my map is probably based on the bx one too

Sandy

If you can do a screen shot of your injection corrections, I'll take a look.

Sign in to follow this