• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
autograsser

1.6 Gti Power Increase

autograsser

whats the easiest and cheapiest way to increase the power in a 1.6gti, i cant chip it or use different cams?? what about a 1.9 thottle body or one from a different motor??? its all gotta stay pretty nuch standard as im racing it in a restricted class.

tony perks

How about more compression decent narrow valve seats and maybe a 1.9 cam, throttle bodies are the same, play with the fuelling via adjustable resister through the water temp sensor for the ecu.

autograsser

cant fit a 1.9 cam

how do you play with the fuelling???

How about more compression decent narrow valve seats and maybe a 1.9 cam, throttle bodies are the same, play with the fuelling via adjustable resister through the water temp sensor for the ecu.

projectpug

Play with fuel- Fuel pressure regulator can turn fuel pressure up/down to alter amount of fuel engine gets.

I wouldn't change the cams or chip it on the standard injection mainly because a proper cam that will show an increase will not idle well (ai flow meter doesn't like them). If you are serious about increasing power you want TB's -Throttle bodies or Carbs and a worked head and longer duration cam a happy medium is a 285. There are loads of topics coverring this sort of thing so have a search?

Cheers

autograsser
Play with fuel- Fuel pressure regulator can turn fuel pressure up/down to alter amount of fuel engine gets.

I wouldn't change the cams or chip it on the standard injection mainly because a proper cam that will show an increase will not idle well (ai flow meter doesn't like them). If you are serious about increasing power you want TB's -Throttle bodies or Carbs and a worked head and longer duration cam a happy medium is a 285. There are loads of topics coverring this sort of thing so have a search?

Cheers

the problem i have is that i will be running in a restricted class were basically the car needs to remain standard how ever i can play around with the settings i.e fuel pressure, i have a look into it but cant really find much about the heater resister for the water temp?? not so sure what im looking for though tbh B)

Baz

Buy an already good 1600. There's a massive difference between a good and a bad one.

Batfink

Getting the fuelling spot on will help, dont just boost the fuel pressure as you will just get bore wash.

What do the rules say? Can you change electronics? Could you move to an aftermarket ECU so you can ditch the AFM?

Thin headgasket to up the compression?

To do too much would be cheating, so probably all you can do is get the engine blueprinted, but thats a lot of money for maybe a 1 or 2 bhp gain.

The 1.6 ran the bigger valves in the later models so a head swap to a late model one could reap a few horses if you have an older engine.

McDude

I read your rules (perhaps misread) from your other thread and it says you are allowed to use carbs.

Possibility perhaps?

autograsser

quote name='McDude' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:02 PM' post='870299']

I read your rules (perhaps misread) from your other thread and it says you are allowed to use carbs.

Possibility perhaps?

the thing with the carbs is that it can only be on a originall manilfold i.e from a 1.6 auto and a standard carb, but think thats changing next year anyway so that an injection engine can only run injection is there a base setting for the fuel pressure or is it just trial and error to see what works??

have to keep the standard ecu B)

the engine im fitting is from a f reg gti with the breather hose on the top??

jengis

Modified dizzy springs?

You can get gains from setting up a little more advance in the mid-topend range without increasing the stattic advance setting too much (which can cause it to 'pink' lower down the rev range)

Is mappable ignition allowed?

autograsser
Modified dizzy springs?

You can get gains from setting up a little more advance in the mid-topend range without increasing the stattic advance setting too much (which can cause it to 'pink' lower down the rev range)

Is mappable ignition allowed?

tell me more jengis :ph34r:

jengis

H+H Ignition Solutions can offer re-built dizzy's to custom specifications and searching the forum it seems many users have good opinions of their services.

I am a cheapskate and like to play around myself. Whether my dizzy had weakened springs and was out of spec due to age, I don't know.... But when I increased the static advance setting I found the engine felt much better revving to the red line. Trouble was it caused excessive pinking under load at 2-3k rpm. I felt it that 'total advance' was arriving too early in the rev range.

I crimped the ends of the springs a wee bit (to shorten them) thus delaying the "rate" of advance allowing me to increase stattic advance (thus achieving more total advance at high rpm). The delayed "rate" meaning I was not at max advance in the 2-3k range. If you have a selection of different rate/length springs you can design your timing advance curve to whatever spec you want.

Its all a bit suck-it-and-see. Like I said, not sure if a new dizzy would benefit much but I recon the OE settings are a bit conservative when it comes to total ignition advance.

Loads of info in this forum on this type of tuning. And if you don't fancy having a play (it is a very fiddly job to get at the springs) I have heard good things from H+H.

shalmaneser

would using optimax or some other hi octane fuel help the pinking issue? You could wind up the advance and not have to fiddle around with spring rates/lengths that way, or if you were going to do that anyway, you could get even larger gains?

Just after knowledge really, I'm new to this engine tuning stuff!

MrG

maybe some basic stuff like making sure the inlet ports and the exhaust ports from and onto the head are nicely matched and flowed? Maybe the throttle body being polished. Renew all the inlet pipework to make sure you have no leaks?

But then again if it has to be std then you are limited in what you can do to improve it I expect. Maybe a good session on a rolling road to iron out any problem areas after that to ensure everything is set up as it should be?

Sign in to follow this