• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Vernier Pulleys...

pete1986

Just a quick question. Im looking to order the verniers for my mi16 atm. But im just wondering if there is any difference betweeen the manufacturers above, in terms of quality?

Catcams seem to be cheaper at £140 inc VAT from DES.

welshpug

the design of them differ, I believe the catcams pulleys offer a more accurate way to adjust cam timing.

pulley_1.jpg

pete1986

I was just reading about them on the QEP website. Yet these are priced at nearly £200 direct from catcams, i guess the ones DES are selling are more basic ones.

Is it really worth forking out the extra money?

welshpug

worth checking what Neal has in stock.

Miles

They all do the same thing just differently, I always go for the lightest one to keep the valve train weight down but that is going to extreme's.

Cameron

I had a Kent pulley on my old 1.9 8V and after a couple of months the belt had worn it down a worrying amount. I'm not sure weather they use a soft alloy or weather it was the cheapo belt, but it's made me think twice about buying a Kent one again.

pete1986

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive been trying to ring DES development all day, but there has been no answer at all. Whats up with that??

Tempted to just go up the road to QEP and get the catcam ones pictured above, as i need some asap.

GLPoomobile

Keep trying DES, they do answer when about. It may have been their day off (seem to recall Neil telling me they work Sat and close Sunday and 1 week day, but I could be wrong as it was over a year ago).

Sandy

I like the Catcam adjustment best.

Stu

Just to butt in..

Are the 8v and 16v pulleys interchangeable?

Reason i ask is i recently did a belt on a 1.9 derv and imagine my suprise when i discovered it ran a number 2 pulley just like my Mi exhaust cam..

8v pulleys pop up on the bay all the while too... :rolleyes:

Francesco

I Like the Catcams.

I'm been told that you can also use original Peugeot one's. I haven't tried it myself yet, but Hilgie and someone else used DW8 (206 1.9 diesel) ones. As shown in picture below (the one in the picture is painted, so tis is not the normal color). You need to order Peugeot numbers 0805 90 and 0805 91 for each pulley. Costs over here are € 46,00, so that wil be something around 35 pounds. If you wanna change both you need to order two of each number.

192.JPG

As said, I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's worth a try. Don't know anything about how much you can adjust them. But for the money, it's worth to give it a go.

Edited by Francesco

pete1986

Thanks for the tips Francesco, but after trying DES all week without answer, i went to QEP and ordered some Catcams true lock pulleys at £196 +VAT.

Oh, now i remember, DES's answer phone said on friday that after completing some rally last weekend they were having a 'well deserved' week off. So i may try on monday AGAIN to see what they have in stock.

boombang
Oh, now i remember, DES's answer phone said on friday that after completing some rally last weekend they were having a 'well deserved' week off. So i may try on monday AGAIN to see what they have in stock.

Very true, Neal @ DES had a weeks holiday and it did say so on their answerphone. Think the rush between going over to Mondelo Park in Ireland for the last round of the rallycross and coming straight back to build a brand new car for the super-pre at Croft gave him pretty good reason for needing a breather!

Remember that these people are human, sounds like above you are having a go at the guy for not being at work. Given they've just spent a season supporting their race cars, culminating in a few weekends away, I think he's entitled to a few days off...

pete1986

No i dont mean to sound like im having a go, ofcourse they deserve a break. I was a bit drunk when i wrote that reply.

Edited by pete1986

Francesco

The Catcams are a good choice Pete. Let us know how easy they are to use.

Sign in to follow this