• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Combination Wash/wiper Stalk

humanz

Sigh. Ok, my ph1 wash/wiper stalk had connectors for a 7pin plug, as well as a brown 2pin plug. I recently bought a ph1.5 (I assume) wash/wiper stalk. However, this stalk has a green connector for a 3 pin plug (instead of 2), in addition to the 7 pin connector. Now according to the Haynes manual, only 9 numbered wires are involved with the wash/wiper stalk. What are the wire numbers for the wires running to the green 3 pin connector (see picture below). The two ph1 harnesses I have have plugs to fit the two pin connector, not the three pin one.

post-7319-1225069050.jpg

Also, I came across a horn/indicator/lights stalk that was black and smooth as opposed to having those ridges near the end, and no circles when you look at the stalk from the side. It didn't look like this one in other words.

post-7319-1225069645.jpg

The plugs and mounting points all worked back, so I just assumed it was a ph2 stalk. Have you ever come across a 205 lights stalk matching that description? Was it really a ph2 stalk, or was I wrong and is it a stalk from another car? (If so which car?)

Cheers.

PS Pictures shamelessly taken from eBay.

humanz

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

Below is the combination light stalk I was hoping to find a matching wiper stalk for. It was in a ph1.5 car I scrapped, so having been the first time for me in a ph1.5 car with a full dashboard I assumed it was a ph1.5/ph2 light stalk. But now I've been wondering if the stalk is original to the 205. Can anyone tell me if it is? If it isn't, which car did it come from?

post-7319-1225527976_thumb.jpg

post-7319-1225527986_thumb.jpg

The ph1.5 wiper stalk I bought looks exactly like my ph1 wiper stalk, only black. So I really doubt it's a 205 stalk. Is it?

Redtop

The stalk above is from a 305 car/van. I think they discontinued the wiper stalk in that form now. The only 205 that they used this on was the t16 rally car and they stick out horizontally from the dash, not on the steering column.

The stalk in your 1st picture is from a ph2 205 gti as it is black rather than grey.

Miles

That is a 205 Stalk used upto March 1986 then the revised Phase 1 came out which used the Flat type of stalk as seen in the phase 1 309's too, The stalks you have are phase 1.5 and Phase 2

humanz

Ok, thanks all. Was hoping to get a matching wiper stalk, but I don't think I'll bother now. Still, I like the look of the older light stalk. I also got my hands on a ph2 dashboard harness and I'm all sorted out on the wires now. I'll post a little write up later as I'm still a little sleepy right now (4:45 am here) in case it's useful to someone else later on.

Cheers.

humanz

Ok, I've figured out the wiring differences, but I still need someone to clarify a couple things for me. The ph1.5/ph2 wiper stalk is wired almost identically to the ph1 wiper stalk. Only a couple exceptions.

First

On the ph1.5/ph2 wiper stalk, Pin2 on the green connector is 87M which runs to the rear wire harness then directly to the rear washer pump and pin3 is connected to 28R, for the rear wiper relay. In ph1, on the smaller brown connector, pin2 is connected to 28R, which runs to the rear wire harness and splits into 87 (for rear washer pump) and 28R (rear wiper relay) as seen in the Haynes manual.

Second

In the ph1 dashboard wiring, the wires run from the wiper stalk to the front wiper relay located near to the steering column, then to the fuseboard. However, in the ph2 dashboard wiring, the wires run directly to the fuseboard.

That last part raises some questions I've placed in a new thread.

Sign in to follow this