• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_attt

2l Turbo, Possibly Overheating

m_attt

driving back today after buying the turbo, temps seamed to sit at 3/4s ish, but if stood did seem to get very high. but the car pulls very well, no noises or smoke.

is this down to poor cooling or could there be a blockage, if so is there a common place, what do your turbos run at temp wise?

cheers matt

tom_m

possibly a dodgy rad fan if its only getting hot stood still. check the connections, the earth and the temp sender in the rad. i've had a dodgy one cause me to boil over in a traffic jam before.

m_attt

when it gets hot or after stopped a fan is deffinatly on. do they both run at same time or is there one for normal running then the seconond when it gets to a certain temp?

rapidcossie
possibly a dodgy rad fan if its only getting hot stood still. check the connections, the earth and the temp sender in the rad. i've had a dodgy one cause me to boil over in a traffic jam before.

I have seen a good few turbos now and they all seem to run at 3/4, so iwould say nothing to worry about.

If you are worried actually take a proper temp reading rather than working from a gauge that isnt calibrated for the turbo engine.

Miles

Is the cooling system connected as it should be?, The last one I had which someone converted got it all wrong and it ran hot, Made it back to how a 205 should be and temps are per normal 8v

m_attt

normal running its up n down about the 3/4 mark, its just when its stopped or slow temps go nearlly to red.

any links for pics how the plumbing should go its been a wile since i pulled a gti apart. cheers

m_attt

been out today, its deffinatly boiling over in traffic, when drivig temps are stable but when stopped it shots up. when really high can he fan really blowing, but cant tell when driving, are they expensive to replace? would it be better to have them bothon a manual switch in the car.

cheers matt

Ant

Matt,

I had this issue when i first did the conversion. I solved it by cutting away all unnessasary plastic on the rad cowling and drilling 1" holes in the areas i couldnt cut away. I also moved the number plate to the bottom of the vallance, as this partially blocked the air intake. Thats all i did, but it increased air flow onto the rad. Now mine runs at 1/2 the temp guage, with no issues... well apart from pi**ing oil from the breather pipe, but thats a seperate issue lol :D

Ant

Oh and i forgot to add, i do have twin fans, with a manual switch on the dash, but never need to use it. Might be worth having as a backup if it does boil over. For the cost of a switch and a few meters of wire, it might save your headgasket :D

welshpug

is it really boiling over or just the needle getting high on the gauge?

PICT0089-1.jpg

m_attt

going by the picture above it runs about 90 on normal driving but stationory or slow traffic it goes up to 110, and the light will come on. and there is alot of pressure at the expansion tank. which is why i think its down to airflow or the fans.

ill definatly wire a switch into it see how it goes, just hope it hasent toasted the head gasket allready.

dcc

On my old 8v i had similar symptoms to this. 2-3 weeks later, my headgasket went. hopefully yours isnt as serious as mine was.

m_attt

^^ this was my worry, locking the crankshaft looks fun if it is

craig f90

My turbo also runs at about 90c in normal driving. I fitted a Revotec Fan controller and set it between 90c and 100c. its never had over heating issuses since. Its probably over cooling now. :angry: I am gonna fit a switch to the second fan soon. Just to be extra safe. :lol:

m_attt

for anyone who is interested, i wired the fans on separate switchs, then turno one on a 1/4 then one on at the 90 degree mark, seems to have solved the problem, was sat in traffic ages earlyer and temps kept nice an stable even dropped down towards 1/4 alot wen on the go. :P fingers crossed theres no lasting damage

Sign in to follow this