• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jettryda

Finding New Seat Frames

Jettryda

My seats are at the poiint now where its getting dangerous, theyre starting to rock me to sleep! I was wondering if anyone knew where i could pick up new seat frames from, having real trouble finding them and im always dubious about 2nd hand ones as they could be just the same.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Sorry if this has already been covered in another topic, couldnt find it...

Edited by jackherer

welshpug

I unbolted my seat frames and added some weld where they had worn away, some of the mechanism had cracked so that was welded also.

refitted and adjusted the rubber feet in the mechanism and they're far better, but not perfect.

mattbenselin

Have you had a good look at what the problem could be? Your frames could be nak'd but it could just be the bolts are loose or under the runners the bolts go through rubber feet as welshpug said, these 'washers' may have cracked and dropped away causing your seat to rock widely. I think all 205 runners are the same so you could go to a scrapyard and find some which def. work and fit those. (Correct me if I'm wrong there?) In fact I have a pair lying around which are good?

SurGie

I got a frame from an old XS seat, fitted to the GTI one and now its stiff,tort and no wobble in it.

I also tightened all the bolts up, upper and lower one's.

The frame was from a passenger side and changed over the seat belt clip, that also helps

as its much less used in general.

Also check the rubber mount's underside of the front are 2 and 2 at the back of the frame on

either side, they look like the one pug use for the bonnet to look straight etc,

give them a turn to wedge it tite.

Edited by SurGie

Jettryda

thanks for the ideas, from what i can see the bolts seem tight and the bar that goes accross(the one that usualy falls off) are fine. Ill have a closer look to see if its the whole lot rocking or just part. where abouts are you mattbenselin?

mattbenselin

I'm in Coventry mate, but my frames are in Long Eaton which is J25 of M1. I can, with a bit of notice, make either.

Baz
Have you had a good look at what the problem could be? Your frames could be nak'd but it could just be the bolts are loose or under the runners the bolts go through rubber feet as welshpug said, these 'washers' may have cracked and dropped away causing your seat to rock widely.

No, Welshpug referred to the rubber feet in the mechanism that are adjustable. The 'washers' you mention are hard plastic, and rarely break in my experience.

It's a mixture of everything tbh, age & wear take their toll and you get movement everywhere, the seat back from the base is a normal one. But yes a major factor is also the frames, one of the cross bars at the front of the seat frames often brake which doesn't help, needing a weld to repair, and the complete mechanism themselves wear & become wobbly, but if the latch works on the bottom to hold the seat down, when in that position the only movement you would really be getting is the former. Of course presuming they're all bolted in properly, frames to the seat and frames to the floor.

Also check the condition of the cars floor, and the captive nuts that they bolt to, these are often past it.

Edited by Baz

Sign in to follow this