• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattbenselin

Magnex Manifold

mattbenselin

Hi firstly I'd like to appologise if this is an old topic and people are bored of being asked...but

What's better 4-2-1 or 4-1? I know 4-2-1 gives better mid and 4-1 gives better top end power but which is the best for a daily driver? And do you really notice any difference?

See my signature for engine spec.

Thanks

Baz

All the aftermarket manifolds i know of or had have been 4-1 for an 8v.

Not that you'll see a major difference even with your mods.

mattbenselin

Really? I understood that on a standard to lightly mod'd engine a manifold does little to nothing, but with carbs and a 285 cam it still makes no improvement?

projectpug

Probably see a couple of hp increase at the top end of the rev range :), Most 8vs have 4-1 manifolds and most 16v use a 4-2-1.

mattbenselin

So is it a worthwhile investment, or just a luxury? (found one for circa £80) I feel I want to get the most out of my engine but that money could be spent else where. Thanks

projectpug

I think its worth it as every little helps IMO. I also think the sound of the 4-1 is awesome :)

hengti

i thought mine helped torque (a little) rather than power. they're worth a go as they're not a deal of hassle to fit - although they can be unreliable

mattbenselin

Unreliable in what way? Corrosion, cracking? I was planning on painting it with VHT, covering with exhaust wrap, then using a 200mm section of steel exhaust flexi connector to join to system.

hengti

cutting the knuckle joint off and replacing it with a stainless flexi would be a good idea (the knuckle joint is the main problem - there should be more info available on search). otherwise, they're just not all that well made - i had the pipe to head flange welds crack on mine, and the blanking piece that seals in between the four pipes fell out into the collector - had to be cut open and all welded up again.

mine didn't corrode too badly at all, but wrapping an exhaust can apparently promote corrosion as you're trapping moisture in - i guess painting it first would help

mattbenselin

Thats what I heard so painting it should help. I'm hoping using a flexi connector will reduce the risk of cracking, I want to keep a rubber bottom mount so engine movement will be an issue.

Baz

It'll still crack, they're crap for that. Use a solid lower mount, and space the top mount out to reduce movement & the likelihood of it cracking if it isn't already.

But tbh, i'd save the money and buy some proper carbs...

projectpug

I agree with Baz on engine mounts i uprated mine to grp N items just after fitting the magnex 4-1 stopped it from banging against the subframe!

mattbenselin

Trouble is I want to use my car everyday for the commute and stuff, I've been in a 205 with solid mounts and the vibrations were a lot harsher than I expected. Is the consensus that fitting a 4 branch with rubber mounts, even if I have a flexi connection to the system will eventually crack? Thats s**t! Anything else I can do? My top mount is already spaced for reduced movement.

Baz

It will crack anyway...

I meant solid rubber 'GpN' mounts, rather than actually solid metal ones.

Everyday commute, with carbs? :)

mattbenselin

Yeah when I say commute it more of a bash through country lanes! Lucky me i guess! And I want to do something new to the 205, I always wanted carbs! So you think the 4 branch is not worth it cause it'll break? how come so many people have them and they made so many, if they are prone to breaking?

Simsy
Yeah when I say commute it more of a bash through country lanes! Lucky me i guess! And I want to do something new to the 205, I always wanted carbs! So you think the 4 branch is not worth it cause it'll break? how come so many people have them and they made so many, if they are prone to breaking?

I had a similar dilemma with an old car, i bought a system from the US that was renowned for cracking, mainly due to poor support of the system.

I had this

ExhMan421.jpg

and used a flexi like this as you say you are going to.

CopyofIMAGE_141.jpg

I know it was a totally different car but the theory is the same, i'd imagine the 4-1 magnex is unsupported so it might just benefit from extra bracketry or perhaps removing the vibration it sees (flexi). Surely its a stainless system too so corrosion isn't an issue?

projectpug

Its the welds arn't corrosion free. I would fit a 4-1 firstly VHT painted in black/silver then heat wrap it and seal that. And Gp N mounts like i mentioned in my last post i wouln't crack any more than the original one cracks tbh. And you can always have the crack repaired/rewelded if one ever appears.

Edited by projectpug

hengti

i think Magnex required that the mani was fitted together with an uprated lower mount anyway, and they don't add as much vibration as an uprated top engine mount (ime)

you might find a s/h mani will have weld cracks already, so to give it the best chance, you could run over the problem welds with quality TIG welds before installing it

Simsy
Its the welds arn't corrosion free. I would fit a 4-1 firstly VHT painted in black/silver then heat wrap it and seal that. And Gp N mounts like i mentioned in my last post i wouln't crack any more than the original one cracks tbh. And you can always have the crack repaired/rewelded if one ever appears.

Oh right, i assumed Magnex used stainless MIG wire. I've had one of their systems and the welds didn't appear to have any corrosion issues. That said, the manifold sees more thermal shock that a backbox does :unsure:

Anyone got a pic of the manifold anyway, just out of interest, mine is staying standard...honest :ph34r:

Edited by Simsy

mattbenselin

Magnex 8 valve 4-1.

Not the exact one but identical to this.

49c3_1.jpg

Simsy
Magnex 8 valve 4-1.

Not the exact one but identical to this.

49c3_1.jpg

Well, unsurprising it breaks then. There is going to be a lot of stress where the primaries are welded to the plate that bolts to the head.

I had a piper system on my old fiesta years ago which looked like this.....

Pic023.jpg

Might be worth bracing your magnex similar to the way the piper one i had was done?

Baz

That's what i did on one of mine a few years ago, didn't see how long it lasted as i sold it and was better off with the money than the hassle!

MarkK

Ive just fitted a Magnex 4-1 manifold and my car seems quieter....anyone else noticed this or am i losing my mind???

Cameron

If they're welded properly I don't see any reason why they would crack. None of the manifolds we make (BTB) are braced to the flange like that and I don't think we've ever had problems with welds cracking. I guess we just have a better method of attaching the primary to the flange so the stress isn't all in the weld. To be honest though, a mild steel manifold is regarded as a disposable item so isn't designed to last more than a few years. You're best off buying new.

As for the manifold being quieter, have you lagged it? Mine was massively quieter after wrapping the (GTi6) manifold and system.

Sign in to follow this