• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Advice Needed Please

Tesstuff

Where would i start?

I used to have a smell of petrol when i went round an island quickly or turned sharply, but now i have it all the time.I have realised that the reason for this is that i removed the rear standard speakers and the speakers grilles.If i sniff down the gap left there on the fuel filler side its a strong smell of petrol.

So what do i need to do to trace this smell? I havent looked underneath but i am imagining the panels at the rear need to come out?

I think i have a leakage myself, my tank only lasts 220-250 miles around town.

Any pointers will be gratefully received as always.

davepug205

I think theres a breather that runs next to the filler tube in the wheel arch which could be blocked causing the pressure to come out the top where you fill up which in theory is inside the car :):( might be wrong tho :lol:

DamirGTI

Lift the back seats and inspect fuel pump and fuel sender seals :) .. and the pipework on the fuel pump from the top and the bottom of the car .. i've had one time leaky fuel pump seal and another time the fuel pump itself (theres some sort of "gummy base" , sealant kinda stuff pressed on top of the fuel pump around the pump wiring , and this "gummy base" was molten so it started to , well leak a bit from the top of the pump during harder cornering ..)

Damir B)

Sign in to follow this