• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

Xu7jp4 Headbolts And Spacers

pip470

I’ve just removed my engine from the drag car as I was going to use this for the euro trip in a road car, However when I removed the head to replace the head gasket, the larger spacer wasn't above the water pump as expected, now I don’t know if this was lucky the previous owner hadn’t put a hole in the water pump housing or if it really doesn't go in that position. The position I found it in, looking from the cambelt end, is on the right on the flywheel end of the engine. Any insight to this would be great.

Also just ordered a cambelt kit and got myself all confused, it seems the belt is the same pt number as a gti 6, now this confused me as the 6 should be longer shouldn’t it?

Next the tensioner is listed as an automatic one for the Citroën xzara which this engine came from but it’s fitted with a manual tensioner, after reading about all the auto tensioners having trouble on the 6 engine I really wanted to replace it with a manual too. The thing is the same engine xu7jp4 but instead if I looked under the Peugeots it came from such as a 306 it lists a manual tensioner, why wouldn't they list that for the Citroën too?

If any one can help clear any of this up it would be great. Many Thanks Phil

P.s instead of this engine I bought a gti6 to go in for the road trip instead. Stroll on next year!!!!!!

pip470

Any one???? Sandy help pretty please?????

Just on a side not, it looks like I have to take the valves out to give it a skim as they are sitting level with the head even with the carriers removed. Its amazing how much metal is just behind the seat area, now ive not ported a head before but ive seen heads that have been done and i can tell this is not helping matters. I will post some pics of my before and after of what i did.

Edited by pip470

welshpug

one of the 2 gti6 belt kits will fit yes, IIRC its the 136 with the metal tensioner, its the same head casting, just finished differently.

does show a spacer on servicebox for some but not all, does the bolt wind in all the way by hand?

pip470

Thanks welsh pug, ive not tried screwing a bolt in all the way over the water pump. However the bolt with the large spacer had pulled all the threads, I have now fixed this with an insert. I think i will put it over the water pump end and if the bolt bottoms out where i originally found it ill change it.

As for the cambelt, I was more refering to differance of 10 mm from the ally block 1.8 to the steel block 2ltr, surely they cant use the same belt?

Sandy

It's the same belt yes, but the rollers are located differently. Later GTI6 are 137 tooth.

The XU7J4 head casting is different to the GTI6, but a similar design overall. Porting is very valid as I'm sure you can see, but you have the luxury of alot of materialto work with, a blank canvas if you like, where as the GTI6 and XU10J4R heads are pretty much big enough on the ports already and can't be modified much without losing too much section.

Pip, check the outside of the waterpump housing on the back of the block for damage!!!!!!

Edited by Sandy

pip470

Thanks Sandy

Ive checked for danage and I cant see any, I have been running this engine with no problems. I was quite suprised to find it in the wrong position and not of done any damage.

Ok made a start on the ports, i was really just roughing it out today as there was a lot of material to remove, I can now start on making it more of a port shape as its quite triangular in places. Heres todays before and after pics.

post-8104-1224882292_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1224882303_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1224882320_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1224882335_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1224882349_thumb.jpg

Edited by pip470

Sandy

Good stuff, still along way to go to make a perfect port!

welshpug

never seen an XU7 port before, they do look small!

Sign in to follow this