• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simsy

Oe Exhaust Manufacturer(s)

Simsy

My centre box has seen better days, trouble is, someone in their wisdom has welded the downpipe to it

I have a new backbox, so i will prob replace the downpipe and centre + new fitting kit.

Who makes the standard exhaust? Bosal, Timax or some other mfr?

Do GSF supply decent ones? I hear they can be hit and miss and the 1.9 has a damn good system as standard so i want that :)

welshpug

sounds like a later exhaust system, they're all like that apart from the catted cars.

pug_ham

What year is your car? Pre 1989 had a three piece system but after that date they were just two piece with an olive design fitment for the backbox so yours sounds like a later one.

I don't think we have ever got the name of the actual oe manufacturer but Arvin make about the best aftermarket ones with the proper downpipe design to full oe spec.

Unfortunately Arvin, Bosal & Timax are all owned by the same company so you have to be very spcific when you order it stating you want a Arvin or you'll reject it if you are ordering it from a local motor factors or GSF who should be abe to supply one. Ask them before you order to make sure & if they can't promise an Arvin, go elsewhere.

Graham.

Simsy

Its a 1990. Its possibly a two piece then, there is a horrible looking weld from the downpipe to the middle, perhaps it rotted away, i guessed the olive joint was f***ed and it was just welded up, its a mess anyway and i want to replace it. :)

Arvin then, i think GSF local to me can sort that, they've been good soo far :(

Cheers

Pete

RossD

ECIA made most of the exhuast for Peugeot until a few years ago, in fact Peugeot had a stake in the company until they sold it I think. I've got an ECIA back box on the 205 and it certainly looks OE, top notch quality too.

If you search google for 'peugeot ECIA' quite a lot of info appears - And it seems they don't just make exhuast but a lot of the components in PSA cars too.

Edited by RossD

eddie bullit

My mates a spanner monkey and he doesn't rate Arvin at all, says they are always a poor fit, he got me a Bosal which fitted nice and easy manufactured to oe and good build. I trust what he says as he's no spring chicken ( 62 the owd b**tard :) ) so he really knows his stuff. When he recieves an Arvin more often than not he sends it back cos its a bitch to fit. just my ten pence worth. hope it helps.

Miles

The nice thing about the ;later systems is they are a 2" bore over the old 1 1/2" one's which is what the horrid Group N system is based on

Simsy
The nice thing about the ;later systems is they are a 2" bore over the old 1 1/2" one's which is what the horrid Group N system is based on

The downpipe looks quite big on mine, it looks like its nearly 2.5" OD !?

The rest, as you say is probably 1/2". Is it worth fitting the later system, any gain to be had there?

I'll quiz GSF about the systems they sell :)

Buypartsby shows this for 89 > 92

630186.png

and this for 90 > 92

630187.png

Edited by Simsy

jackherer
Buypartsby shows this for 89 > 92

630186.png

and this for 90 > 92

630187.png

Erm, those ranges overlap? :)

It looks like the top pic is the later design, 1990 onwards. The lower pic is the earlier 3 piece from before 1990.

Miles

The lower system is for the optional CAT from 1990 and then std from late 92 & 93

jackherer
The lower system is for the optional CAT from 1990 and then std from late 92 & 93

Oops, I didn't spot the cat, I just saw the separate downpipe...

Simsy

Seems from that then that my original just broke (likely because the engine mounts are fubared) and was welded at the downpipe join to the centre box.

What are referring to when you mention the correct downpipe spec? Do some have a different design? Does the OE downpipe have two pipes in it or something?

welshpug
Seems from that then that my original just broke (likely because the engine mounts are fubared) and was welded at the downpipe join to the centre box.

What are referring to when you mention the correct downpipe spec? Do some have a different design? Does the OE downpipe have two pipes in it or something?

yes, or rather constructed to that effect.

Simsy

Ah, Merion, how's it going, i almost didn't recognise you, maybe because "welshpug" on the 6 forum has an exclamation mark after it :)

So, effectively, the manifold branches 4 into 2 and the downpipe collects to one before the first silencer?

Edited by Simsy

welshpug

indeed, many PSA exhausts have that layout :)

pug_ham
My mates a spanner monkey and he doesn't rate Arvin at all, says they are always a poor fit, he got me a Bosal which fitted nice and easy manufactured to oe and good build.

Thats the odd thing, Arvin & Bosal are as good as the same company now but all made to a slightly different spec.

The last few Arvin systems I've fitted fitted fine & all I've done is adjust the olive joint to seal better without the need for any sealing paste. Been on my car for nearly three years & still in good condition.

I recently fitted a Boasdl backbox on my mums 205 auto & even though the old one was holed & blowing she hadn't noticed but made a remark that the new one was louder within a week of fitting it!! The tailpipe is a shorter design & has certainly made a difference to the sound but obviously not in a bad way to me. :)

Simsy, it sounds like your system has rotted through on the joint to the centre box, they are welded together as standard & its a common failure point imo (welded joint into a silencer box). The correct downpipe should be two D shaped pipes joined in the middle on the down pipe forming the sperator giving the 4-2-1 design & this runs right down to past the bend where the system starts to run under the car.

Graham.

mattbenselin

Hi when I got my 205 it had a Walker 2 piece system fitted to it which looked just like OE. Upon removal it had the split in the downpipe and was all in good condition except the underside of the downpipe had rotten through. When I tried to source another I decided to go with Arvin/Timax cause of their rep. I went to Buy Parts Buy and they promised me Arvin, but I received a Bosal with no split in the tailpipe. I phoned them and they arranged for an actual Arvin to be delivered. Now the quality was immediately noticable on the Arvin compared with the Bosal, it just looked and felt better. BUT still no split in the downpipe! Phoned again and they said 'that's how they come now'. Bugger! Didn't really notice a difference but I understand the split is supposed to increase torque? If you decide to buy one from anywhere, either get someone to tell you down the phone with it in their hands that it's the right one or see it first.

GLPoomobile

I got my Arvin dowpipe from Buy Parts By a couple of years ago and it had the split. Bit of a bugger if they've stopped doing it (can't see why they'd change it).

My attitude is always to try and get the best possible, money permitting, so if the Pug design had the split in it, then I want the same from any replacement part. BUT, Maxi is very vocal on this subject (albeit when talking about MI16s) and swears that they are better without the split. It's also a well known fact that over time the split can separate at the top, which will actually spoil flow. All things considered, I wouldn't worry about getting a split downpipe if it's proving difficult to source. I wonder how many people can honestly say they can notice ANY difference in performance on an 8v.

welshpug

I recently fitted a Devil Decat pipe to an S16, this had an extended split downpipe, far longer than the standard one (the cat restricts the length or the original)

Also the 8v 205 and 306 S16 PTS downpipes, as are Janspeed IIRC, are 2 larger bore pipes than original, which makes me think they are certainly beneficial to the 8 valve engines at least (why else would Peugeot have spent the time to produce them?)

I've noticed that original pipes aren't as prone to splitting as aftermarket ones as they have a piece folded over the manifold end of the split, health of the engine has a lot to do with how quickly these deteriorate.

You've only to look at the length of the primaries and secondaries of custom manifolds to see what Peugeot were trying to replicate on a mass scale, though of course the characteristics and use of the engines bear greatly on the design, the 309 GTi16 and 306 GTi6 manifolds illustrate this quit well as they have 4-1 manifolds with far longer primaries but no split downpipe/secondary pipes.

**all based on my reading on various forums and limited experience of Peugeot/Citroen engines (much the same as many contributors) :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by welshpug

GLPoomobile

Just to be clear on my previous post, I'm not saying the split is pointless. Pug did it for a reason afterall.

What I meant was, how many drivers woujld actually notice the (probably) very small difference in performance by fitting a downpipe without the split. There's many factors on these old engines that will reduce performance, or change the performace characteristics from how they rolled out of the factory, due to wear in components etc. I'm sure many owners are not even aware of it though, or live with it.

Get a proper downpipe if you can, and if cost is not prohibitive. But if it's proving difficult to source one, don't get hung up on it for the sake of chasing a few bhp.

Simsy
Just to be clear on my previous post, I'm not saying the split is pointless. Pug did it for a reason afterall.

What I meant was, how many drivers woujld actually notice the (probably) very small difference in performance by fitting a downpipe without the split. There's many factors on these old engines that will reduce performance, or change the performace characteristics from how they rolled out of the factory, due to wear in components etc. I'm sure many owners are not even aware of it though, or live with it.

Get a proper downpipe if you can, and if cost is not prohibitive. But if it's proving difficult to source one, don't get hung up on it for the sake of chasing a few bhp.

I think i'd notice. ;)

I've not got right under the car as i was doing other stuff with it today (cambelt, tensioners, water pump, wishbones) :unsure: But it looks like this thing just sounds like its blowing when it actually isn't

I'll throw some WD over the joints and stick a rag over the tailpipe tomorrow to see, but i think its nowhere near as bad as i first thought. Which would be nice :ph34r:

Edited by Simsy

Sign in to follow this