• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Group A Cross Member Mounts Help.

yorkshirekowboy

hi all,

just got some nice new bolts for my cross member mounts on my beam, and i have noticed something, that i need to ask.

if you look in the picture below, it shows some of the threads showing wear the nylon mounts would be between the mount, so im just wondering weather the threads of the bolt would damaged the nylon mounts, and make them prematurly wear? i think the original bolts would do the same thing, so wondering if you have come across if any problems?

SNC00046.jpg

this image shows where the nylon mounts would be placed in the cross member.

SNC00047.jpg

Baz

The threads do damage the inner of the nylon mounts slightly when you fit the bolts back in, nothing drastically tho as they're just a tight fit.

yorkshirekowboy

hmm, maybe i should just get a bigger bolt, so the mount are all on a smooth surface, then pack the bolt out with washers so i can tighten it up.

Henry Yorke

Why not just get a standard original bolt? I am pretty sure they don't have the threads going inside. Original bushes have a metal sleeve going through them

yorkshirekowboy
Why not just get a standard original bolt? I am pretty sure they don't have the threads going inside. Original bushes have a metal sleeve going through them

the standard bolts have the threads showing aswell, as the original bushes like you said have metal casing so the threads wouldnt damage metal like it would nylon. this is why im trying to replace the bolts..

B1ack_Mi16
the standard bolts have the threads showing aswell, as the original bushes like you said have metal casing so the threads wouldnt damage metal like it would nylon. this is why im trying to replace the bolts..

It's the clamping force (friction) between metalmount and the nylon bush that shall take all the forces going through that area anyway, so if torqued up properly the bush will not move relative to the mount, hence the threads will not damage the nylon anyway.

This is the same with the orginal bushes, it's clamped tight in place and will not move when torqued up.

Same principle goes with wishbone bushes etc..

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

Sign in to follow this