• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Mi

Wishbone Ball Joints

Chris_Mi

Hi all,

I've seen elsewhere on this forum that a split wishbone ball joint boot will be a fail on an MOT :)

Both mine are split, although there is NO knocking/sqeals/creaking etc. to suggest that the actual joints are worn. I have filled with plenty of grease as best I can, but was wondering, if the worst came to the worst (impending MOT), can you buy the ball joint and boot seperately, or is it a case of buying a whole new wishbone?

Anyone had experience of pulling old ball joints and replacing, if possible of course B) (seen as my toolset is v. limited!)

Also, I have just purchased some new wishbone bushes. If I were to put these on my existing wishbones, then find that I couldn't actually replace the balljoints and needed to buy new wishbones, could I use reuse my newly fitted bushes, or would the process of pulling them out ruin them?

Cheers

Chris

pacey205

Fill with grease, clean and seal with silicon sealant. Has been the standard remedy for small splits in CV boots etc for me for ages, as long as you get it clean Ive never had an issue with it re-splitting again.

If they are completely buggered I think there was someone on here (or ebay) selling replacement boots, cant remember who though Im afraid.

HTH

Michael

McDude

You can't buy the balljoints separately I'm afraid, they come as part of the wishbone and will also include bushes.

You say you have new bushes; are these the rubber type or a poly-bush? The reason I ask is that the poly-bushes have a bad reputation in 205s (probably in other apps too) because they aren't really a bush i.e. they don't twist like a bush; they are more like a bearing and as such they wear out very quickly.

tri_longer

As above the joints ar fixed but you can get rubbers from these guys

http://www.southwalesprops.co.uk/propshaft.../ball_joint.htm

I had to do the same job myself recently, I can't for the life of me remember which ones I bought but the top and bottom hole sizes are the same, but the closest one is a little taller than the one i took off but they squash down quite nicely.

All in, including CV grease and postage was about £12 for the two rubbers.

GLPoomobile

IIRC the guy who sells a pair of boots for circa £7 is called Phonecombz, but can't remember if that is his drivers ID or eBay ID. Mine were delivered really quickly, and fit easily enough, although theclips that hold the boot on are a buggery fiddle!

To check the balljoint is OK, it should be pretty stiff to move by hand. Not seized, but not so free that you can move it back and forth easily by hand.

Chris_Mi

Thanks for all the quick replies peops :unsure:

Looks like I'll order a new set of boots. They seem cheap enough, because to be honest, mine look buggered.

By the way, if the ball joint is knackered, and I put my new bushes in these wishbones this weekend, can I reuse them in a new wishbone, or will they get wrecked when I attempt to take them out. They are the original rubber ones ordered from Peugeot.

Cheers

Chris

Chris_Mi
You say you have new bushes; are these the rubber type or a poly-bush?

After spending about 1/2 day searching on here :unsure: I decided to go for the rubber ones. I just can't seem to tell the difference between corporate spiel and the truth; all companies enthusiastically promote their items, and it is sometime difficult to decide which is actually best for yourself as you are often told so many contradictory things- "these polybushes are extra durable, better than the original rubber items, made for tough conditions, Group A spec, last for a lifetime etc."

I guess there is no replacing the actual experience of the forum members, so thanks a lot for your help :)

Chris

CosKev
, can I reuse them in a new wishbone, or will they get wrecked when I attempt to take them out. They are the original rubber ones ordered from Peugeot.

Cheers

Chris

I would think they would get damaged,cause gen Pug ones will need pressing in with a vice or press,so would need pressing back out too.

large

My car past the M.O.T. with a small split in the ball joint boot, the tester did see it but said it was not a fail ;) .

matty_gti
My car past the M.O.T. with a small split in the ball joint boot, the tester did see it but said it was not a fail ;) .

happy days! :mellow:

Sign in to follow this