• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bogsye

Mystery Engine Bay Plug

Bogsye

My car runs just fine, but on giving it a quick service I noticed the following loose plug - circled in red.

2954817517_1bb4719e5f.jpg

It's just like a fuel injection plug?

Any ideas?

The car is a 92K 1.9

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by Bogsye

DamirGTI

On late Motronic car right ? it's injection system testing plug :)

Damir :o

Roman
On late Motronic car right ? it's injection system testing plug :)

Damir :o

yes if it's DKZ engine with motronic ecu this is service connector....

Bogsye

Thanks folks.

I was getting worried it was something missing - despite the car running reasonably well. :)

pug_ham

If your car has a CAT then it is the engine ecu diagnostics plug, when the K light is permanently showing on your dash you can make an LED code reader to find whats causing it.

Your upper cambelt cover is wrong for that age of car though imo, should be a black plastic cover & not the earlier metal one.

Graham.

Baz

Yup! Spotted that on a friends Cat/motronic 205 a few months ago and it confused me too for a second or 2!

Roman
If your car has a CAT then it is the engine ecu diagnostics plug, when the K light is permanently showing on your dash you can make an LED code reader to find whats causing it.

Your upper cambelt cover is wrong for that age of car though imo, should be a black plastic cover & not the earlier metal one.

Graham.

i have some metal cambelt cover on 1991 cat engine and im sure is still original....

DamirGTI

Graham.

Well , me thinks that this one is injection only test plug B) cos theres another plug for general ECU diagnostic .. so 2 of them in total this green one and another gray plug on the LH side of the engine bay .. i'll make some pics later :)

Damir :lol:

Bogsye

Graham.

Excellent - I like geeky detail! :) Something to investigate. V5 claims engine code starts CWF.......

It supposedly had a top end rebuild with the 2nd last owner, but the state of the cam gasket suggests not, and there was no supporting documents.

In fact the state of the air filter suggests the thing has never had a spanner waved in it's general direction!! :unsure:

DamirGTI

This one ;) :

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

...should be general ECU diagnostic plug right ? :mellow: ..

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham
This one ;) :

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

...should be general ECU diagnostic plug right ? :mellow: ..

I've got that same plug fitted to my Jetronic 205 GTi (well, it used to be Jetronic) but the Jetronic doesn't have any kind of MIL light so I don't think its used, all the ecu wiring loom goes though the bulkhead on the RHS of the engine bay in a fairly self contained loom.

Graham.

DamirGTI

...strange ;) this one is from my Ph2 Motronic car , i have that one and the green one as well .. however on my other Ph1 car i don't have neither the green or this gray one :mellow: ..

Damir B)

welshpug

check the wire numbers?

DamirGTI

Graham was right :mellow: (as always !) wires on the green plug are stamped with - 15A and 55 .. looking on the wiring diagram yes it's the diagnostic socket .. but i can see here also some sort of "test socket injection" on the diagram as well , with single wire No. 112C .. (just to add i found two separate white wires with black plugs on the ends near that green plug ;) they're also coming from the ECU loom ..)

On the gray plug i've managed to read just ?3 something , on the thick brownish wire , couldn't read anything from another the blue one?!

So what could be this gray plug ?

Damir B)

ade 4wd

The grey plug is used when you have ABS fitted.

2-Pugs

Yes thats what i was thinking too. i think that connector is where the ABS loom connects to the loom under the dash and from there on to the fuse and dash lamp?

Henry Yorke

You can get much more from the green plug I think than just injection readings, or maybe it is just my motronic MP3.2 ECU. I plugged in a snap on scanner and it told me inlet temp, emissions, water temp etc

Sign in to follow this