• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

Electric Window Problem

RAF_gti

I've a wee bit of a problem with my windows..they don't bloody work!

Neither passenger or drivers side work, from the switches on either side, what is common to them? Do they go through a relay and of so which one? There is a black plastic box under the dash (window controller), I can't find any mention of this in Haynes!

thanks!

Steve

chrisj21

Fairly common i would say due to the age of most gti's nowdays. Neither of mine worked when i got the car, most likley to be the motors in the doors. I've replaced my drivers side but yet to do the passenger one. Also worth checking the wiring to the switch too.

Chris

large
I've a wee bit of a problem with my windows..they don't bloody work!

what is common to them?

Fuse?

Ryan

The windows are wired through fuse #9 in the fusebox, and there's a relay in the fusebox as well, so either of those could be the problem.

The black box under the dash (in the steering column area?) is for the central locking I think.

RAF_gti
The windows are wired through fuse #9 in the fusebox, and there's a relay in the fusebox as well, so either of those could be the problem.

The black box under the dash (in the steering column area?) is for the central locking I think.

Deffo not the fuse, shall check the relay but havn't been sure which one it is!

I have a black box under the dash, similar to the c/locking but for the windows, according to the markings supplies voltages to both L/R windows so I'm guessing that is the problem. Does anybody have a spare?!

Henry Yorke

Sometimes I have to wiggle my electric window realy in the fuse box to get it tot work. I have historically swapped it for another relay and have had the same issue, so maybe the fuse board is slightly worn. It is second relay from the right IIRC

Simes

A dodgy switch believe or not can also be the culprit.

I removed a passenger window motor assuming that that was the cause only to find it worked. After testing all the wiring back I found that the passenger switch on the drivers side was the problem.

pug_ham
What is the best way to test the switches/motor? I assume applying +/-12v will make it go up/down?

The switches come apart to clean them out if you're careful. They tend to clog up with fluff & this does quite well stopping them working.

The motor can be tested by running 12v to it by removing the switch & bridging the centre pin of the plug to one terminal either side for the motor to run either up or down.

Graham.

RAF_gti

Turns out it was a combination of dodgy wiring, a duff switch and the aftermarket window control box being wonky donky.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Steve

Sign in to follow this