• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Aero Catches

swordfish210

Hi. I'm looking at getting some aero catches for my XT as i'm going to de skin the bonnet and have it as a complete lift off item (no hinges etc) Has anyone ever done something similar with the aero catches and if so can i have some pictures, particularly of where the eye bolts were mounted. Thanks

engine killer

i am using the same bonnet and aerocatch as you but just install the aerocatch the other way round, will take some picture later. :D

marksorrento205

They look sweet! Im guessing they are lockable too?

Batfink

you can get two versions. One is lockable and one is not basically

swordfish210

Yeah i'v got the lockable ones, since it's a road car i dont want some skank running off with my bonnet :D Tom; do you have any pics of the eyebolt locations?

marksorrento205

Are the locks worth a wa nk or could you stick a screwdriver in there twist it and wrench them open? Just waying them up as I want to remove the slam panel for a cool air feed to the throttle bodies but have security in mind!!

Edited by marksorrento205

swordfish210

The locks arn't anything special. I picked one myself with my special tool :P But they'd be better than no lock at all.

marksorrento205

Fair point!!

tom_m

no, but i can get some next time i'm at the workshop. james_r has the flush fitting version that sit underneath the bonnet, mounted with the point facing forwards.

like swordfish says the locks aren't anything special, but they'll do as a deterrent, because i too am losing the slam panel bonnet lock.

its still on the hinges at the back, but there's only one really obvious place to put the pins back there.

marksorrento205

Sounds like a plan. Not too dear as well, £43 for the lockable ones on ebay inc P&P or is there a cheaper place? ;)

like swordfish says the locks aren't anything special, but they'll do as a deterrent, because i too am losing the slam panel bonnet lock.

And there is always the big stick if you catch someone trying to tinker :lol:

engine killer

my aerocatch

engine killer

slam panel without the bonnet catch

engine killer

more about my slam panel

marksorrento205

I like it! Was it something you knocked up yourself modding the original slam panel?

engine killer

used up some card boards to do different mockups before cutting the sheet metal. was hoping for a little boost (obviously none :) ) but a guarantee of cold feed air all the time apart from idling and the stop-go moment. once it's on the move, plenty of cold air to chill the inlet manifold too. i am thinking of making an integrale type bonnet vent to allow the air stream on bonnet to drag the hot from inside out.

Cameron

It's all about bonding them to the underside. B)

Uploaded-22Jul2008-2.jpg

Uploaded-22Jul2008-1.jpg

marksorrento205
It's all about bonding them to the underside. B)

That looks a smart way of doing it. For security and saftey wise whats to stop someone just yanking up the bonnet, or the wind at high speed getting under the front of the bonnet, breaking the bonded joint and opening? Not trying to pick faults just wondering.

tom_m

Image_486.jpg

Image_487.jpg

Image_488.jpg

swordfish210

Thanks for the pics and info guys, you've been helpful as allways. I'll post some pics of how i get on with mine when i'v finished it

Baz
For security and saftey wise whats to stop someone just yanking up the bonnet...

Locks. :unsure:

marksorrento205
Locks. :)

Im talking about the one thats bonded to the underside of the bonnet, thats not bolted to the bonnet. Surely you could just yank the bonnet and pull them off. As everyone else has fitted them, and I would, bolted to the top, they are spot on. Im even gonna order a set :unsure:

Baz
Im talking about the one thats bonded to the underside of the bonnet, thats not bolted to the bonnet. Surely you could just yank the bonnet and pull them off. As everyone else has fitted them, and I would, bolted to the top, they are spot on. Im even gonna order a set :unsure:

Cameron's are bonded between an upper skin(the bonnet itself) then another skin under the actual aero catch afaia, so you'd have to wrench it pretty hard to break the bonnet or catch itself. There's also still the locks to prevent someone randomly opening them too.

Cameron

Beat me to it! :unsure:

Yeah, the locks are basically part of the bonnet now, 2 layers of carbon / kevlar cloth are holding them in so it should be pretty tough to remove them. I guess it's the composite equivalent to welding them to the bottom. I imagine if you tried to force it open you would destroy the bonnet first making it pretty pointless.

You could do the same with a metal bonnet but you would have to do a good job of keying the surface to make sure it sticks properly.

marksorrento205

Nice I like it! top job then!! Probally better than bolting them :unsure:

Just looking at all avenues pros and cons etc.

Sign in to follow this