• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Aero Catches

swordfish210

Hi, just some pics of them all fitted to the car now and the work on the bonnet:

Before i started:

DSC00479.jpg

Lightened:

DSC00480.jpg

Eyebolts fitted:

DSC00482.jpg

Aero catches fitted:

DSC00483.jpg

And on the car:

DSC00484.jpg

Thanks again for the help/info

pip470

Looks very nicely done mate, did you find it difficult to cut the shape out and also in the right place? asny tips or hints if you had to do it again?

Also off topic, they look like r1 carbs, any chance of the details of the filter and how you attached the backing plate to the carbs? Cheers Phill

Edited by pip470

Spiky

looks very cool swordfish :), top job B)

Baz

Looks good Mark, was it difficult to cut the inner out, and did those dents all come from doing so?

Is it pretty flimsy now also?

swordfish210
Looks very nicely done mate, did you find it difficult to cut the shape out and also in the right place? asny tips or hints if you had to do it again?

Also off topic, they look like r1 carbs, any chance of the details of the filter and how you attached the backing plate to the carbs? Cheers Phill

Ok heres how i did it...i think :lol: First i cut the strenghtening out of the bonnet to make it easy for myself. I then marked out 4 places to fit they eye bolts to the shell, the place that i mounted the rear ones is the only place that they can be mounted back there as nowhere else is strong/thick enough. Once the eyebolts were fitted i marked 4 lines in pencil on the front wings that lined up with the bolts and i meaured the distance to the bolts from the edge of the wings. I then laid the bonnet on the car is the right place and transfered the measurements to the bonnet, then marked out the location of the eye bolts on the bonnet in pencil. As a last test to see if i had lined everything up correctly i pushed lightly on the bonnet around the eye bolts so that they would dent the bonnet a bit (doesnt matter as that bit is getting cut out anyway) .....................and would you belive it, it was spot on -_-

I then marked the holes that i was going to cut out with the template provided and i took the bonnet back in to Uni to cut the holes with a nice air powered cutting tool that we have with a 1mm cutting disc, that made pretty light work of it but a steady hand is required :rolleyes:

Nearly there, they're R6 carbs. The filter is an ITG one. I bought a blank backing plate and i also bought a standard R6 air box. I stripped the air box to remove the backing plate and the air box rubbers. I used the backing plate to mark out where i wanted the holes then i took it to Merlin Motorsport (where i bought the plate and filter from) and they punched the holes out on the fly press (much neater than cutting) I then fitted the original air box rubbers to the new backing plate and fitted them to the car B)

swordfish210
Looks good Mark, was it difficult to cut the inner out, and did those dents all come from doing so?

Is it pretty flimsy now also?

Nah the intter cam out pretty easily with the afore-mentioned cutting tool at Uni. Once it's all cut you need to use a heat gun to warm up all of the sealant holding it on and then pry it off. If i was a bit more patient i.e. more than not at all :rolleyes: , i could have done it without denting the bonnet but i was a bit sloppy and made loads of dents.

It's not as flimsy as i would have expected but it can be used as an instrument by Rolf Harris...if you catch my drift :lol:

pip470

Thanks swordfish

Sign in to follow this