• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejp

Best Method Of Removing This......?

weejp

I'm not very keen on these GTi protective badge thingy around my door locks (were on car when I bought it) I'm considering taking them off but really, really don't want to damage my paintwork in this process.

I've been advised heating them up whilst attempting to remove them is the way to go. Does this method work? has anyone tried anything similar? any other suggestions?

post-12725-1224103924_thumb.jpg

Dan Ingram

Get a hair dryer on it and it should melt the glue behind it. Peel it of as gently as you can the use some tar and glue remover to get rid of the residue.

platty

Boil the kettle, and pour it on my friend.

miamichris

autoglym tar remover is your friend here for taking off the sticky residue left behind when you get those things off! :lol:

weejp

Thanks guys, gives me a bit more confidence to try it now.

What about Autosmart Tardis?, it's amazing at removing tar, etc - take it that will do the same trick as the autoglym.?

Jrod

Assuming there isnt damage already hiding under there! :huh:

Baz

hair dryer and some sort of T&G remover yes, i wouldn't scold the paint with a kettle though.

Edited by Baz

platty

:huh:

I removed all the sign writing off of a work van with the kettle method :)

weejp
Assuming there isnt damage already hiding under there! :huh:

That's my major concern actually. I always seem to think of the worst case scenario but, when I take into account all the facts I think it should be okay.

The locks are fine and the keys are all original, the sticker thingys are transparent and to me there looks like nothing untoward behind them, so fingers crossed it's just an ill advised addition by one of the previous owners.

Think I'll go down the hairdryer route if I get the balls to do it - still shi**ing it in case any paint peels off with them.

Pugnut

i once read that dental floss pulled up behind once its warm can work well too.

Sign in to follow this