• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kb_205

Gaz Coilover Fitting

kb_205

hi,

i have recently purchased and installed a set of Gaz GHA coilover suspension kits,

i am new to this and this and do not know how to tighten the piston rod nut without the piston rod moving,

do i use a spanner on the nut with a spanner on the + - tool thet you get with the kit

or use a socket and grip the piston rod??

i have no idea

thanks

welshpug

is there a hole in the top for an Allen key?

platty

There wasn't on mine.

kb_205
is there a hole in the top for an Allen key?

no, there was on the old standard ones, these have an allen key shaped point, and you get a attatchment in the kit which goes over the point (to adjust rebound) which is a spanner or socket fitment (not sure what size) but i have an adjustable handy :lol: ,

how do i get to the piston rod nut with this in place to tighten it, do i need an offet spanner??

thanks

Cameron

I think there are flats on the top of the strut, have a look. You should just about be able to get a spanner round them and then get another spanner on the top nut to tighten it. Also try it with the car sat back on it's wheels, the weight of the car may help a little.

tom_m

an impact driver will nip it up, if they're still off the car nip over to your friend local garage and they should be able to wizz them tight for you.

like cam say weight over the wheels helps.

if you cushion the damper rod with some something you can put some mole grips round it, but be VERY careful not to mark the damper rod, i used this method before i got my air tools.

don't use the adjuster with a spanner on you WILL snap the adjuster, and then your dampers are buggered.

kb_205

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

there wasnt any flats at the top of the struts.

i found that with the car back on its wheels it definately helped, i ended using the nuts off the origoinal dampers for now, as the thread lock on the new ones

made the friction too much and therefore made the pison rod move, i will nip up the local garage and use air tools to tighten the new nuts, if not will apply

thread lock gel to the old nuts!

if anyone finds any other way let me know but all sorted for now so they will not get stolen over night whilst on axle stands ;)

thanks again

Rippthrough

Use a rubber strap wrench on the shaft.

Sign in to follow this