• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paulfreeth

Goodridge Brake Hoses

paulfreeth

Hi,

At the weekend i was competing on a rally and the n/s/f brake hose burst. It was a goodridge hose which was on my old car when i brought it (so not origanaly purchased by myself) It looked like it had somehow got damaged, so i decided to just order a new set. The new set arrived, and although are both the 6 line kit, the new set has differant caliper ends - they are male threaded with a female flare rather than a male flare. I noticed that the kit was supplied with some copper washers, so i gathered that they had just changed the design and tyred fitting the hose with a copper washer, but when the hose is tight the washer is not being crimped.

Has anyone come accross this before? I was wondering if there was supposed to be some addaptors in the kit, that maybe fell out or got left out.

Any help would be appriciated.

Paul.

Tom Fenton

I came across this same fault, I assumed it was just the kit had been made wrong, but I'd had them sat about for too long to try and send them back. What I did was to cut off the flared end on the fitting, and then screw the fitting down so that the copper washer sealed on the flat face. That was 10 months and 4k miles ago and no problems. However if you've just bought a new kit I'd send it back, as they are definitely NOT right.

paulfreeth

Thanks tom for your reply. I contacted the supplyer today and they contacted goodridge direct, and basically they have changed the design and are correct. The caliper end has a double flaire, which although has a concave inner, the outside has a slight taper to it. They say that you dont need to use the washers, so i cant see why they put them in the kit i have no idea. I never noticed the slight flaire until was told about it, and have now fitted them and they are fine.

kb_205

i had exactly the same problem with mine, i also didnt fit the washers and just done them up tight and havent had any problems yet!

did think about cutting them down also but seems theres no need. however i do still keep an eye, and if anything occurs will definately cut them

paulfreeth

I keep an eye on them to make sure they dont leak, and if they do ill do the same i think.

shalmaneser
Hi,

At the weekend i was competing on a rally and the n/s/f brake hose burst. It was a goodridge hose which was on my old car when i brought it (so not origanaly purchased by myself) It looked like it had somehow got damaged, so i decided to just order a new set. The new set arrived, and although are both the 6 line kit, the new set has differant caliper ends - they are male threaded with a female flare rather than a male flare. I noticed that the kit was supplied with some copper washers, so i gathered that they had just changed the design and tyred fitting the hose with a copper washer, but when the hose is tight the washer is not being crimped.

Has anyone come accross this before? I was wondering if there was supposed to be some addaptors in the kit, that maybe fell out or got left out.

Any help would be appriciated.

Paul.

Same happened to me. I emailed goodridge having a bit of a go and got the following response...

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm the fittings used on all our kits are designed to seal on the seat of the fitting where possible. The copper washers are supplied as a matter of course just in case you need to seal on the face of the fitting.

If the fitting is 'bottoming out' on the caliper, as long as the seat is correct, this is the best way to seal as the seat is mating correctly and you would not require the copper washer.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

So basically he's saying the copper washer is useless

Sign in to follow this