• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bob

S16 Wiring Question

Mr Bob

Hey there

As this is my 1st post I want to apologise incase this has been coverd before, if its in the wrong place and for it not being in a 205 but this seems to be the only place with mi16/s16 technical information.

Anyway to get up to speed, I have a 306 with a 2.0L 8v and I am lookin to fit an engine from a 306 S16.

So far I have all the parts and the swaps ready to get done but before I go taking engines out etc I want to make sure its going to be a relatively straight swap and so far it has been but on inspection of the wiring yesterday I found the main loom plug is diffrent from the loom on the car.

The smaller of the 2 lines up ok but the larger has some diffrence

DSC00465.jpg

Engine loom

DSC00464.jpg

Car loom

as you can see the engine plug has a pin set up of:

4 space 1

and the car loom has

3 space 1

The only main diffrences I can think of is the car has a keypad immobiliser and the engine came from a car that didnt also the car has a cable driven speedo and the engine came from a car that had a electronic speedo.

Now I am hopeing someone smarter than my can tell me dont worry it will still be plug and play or at least know what I need to do to alter the wires to make it work.

Oh and I whent on the peugeot service box to buy the wiring diagrams for the 2 cars but unforanetly its not working at the moment.

welshpug

you'll more than likely need to either cut and join the original plug to the new loom, or if you can pull the wires from the S16 plug and insert them into the original plug.

it should be easy enough as the wires would be numbered, match up the numbers either side of the plugs.

was the S16 a fully electronic speedo or a cable driven speedo with an electronic takeoff as well?

if it was purely electronic you'll need to get the earlier electronic VSS that takes a speedo cable.

Mr Bob
you'll more than likely need to either cut and join the original plug to the new loom, or if you can pull the wires from the S16 plug and insert them into the original plug.

it should be easy enough as the wires would be numbered, match up the numbers either side of the plugs.

was the S16 a fully electronic speedo or a cable driven speedo with an electronic takeoff as well?

if it was purely electronic you'll need to get the earlier electronic VSS that takes a speedo cable.

so its as simple as match the numbers on the wires on the engine to the numbers on the wires in the car?

yeah the s16 was fully electronic but the one thats in the car is cable and electronic (ill need to check for sure) would i just use that one?

welshpug

you'll need the earlier type of S16 speed sensor that can drive a speedo cable as well, as the ECU still requires a signal from it.

Mr Bob

checked the gear box thats in the car and its has this set up

speedo.jpg

would that be usable or does it have come from a s16?

welshpug

that looks to be the right setup.

Mr Bob

thanks for your help, just need to sort the wiring now

checked the s16 plug agesnt the 8vs plug and theres only 1 wire of a diffrence so hopefully going to be easier than I 1st thought

Sign in to follow this