• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davepug205

Extra Front Track Width Options

davepug205

Hi guys,

Ive been looking into the front track width for my project and trying to find the best solution,

Ill be getting Bilstein coil overs next month with eccentric top mounts (any suppliers on here please pm details) along with rose jointed wishbones.

Now Ive scrolled through pages of old threads and not really found what I'm after. basically I'm looking for what width you can gain from these and also if you can get longer rose joints for the arms, or can different arms give more width maybe tubular etc. Now I know It will also have affect on drive shafts, steering rack etc.

The width I'm after is similar to xsport's (pdd144c) old project, now I think they used spacers for the wheels as I remember seeing in an old pic, but thought these weren't a good idea and affected handling please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Also Ive seen a pic I think Sandy? using 306 arms and modifying the sub frame, now this may be an option depending on the work involved to the shell, I remember seeing notches etc.

I also presume people have designed a kit IE skip brown etc to bolt on.

Now I'm looking for someone to throw a few ideas at me, as I know theirs a few people on hear in the know that can offer advice an services.

Any useful info can be posted here, but I understand people will want to keep prices and suggestions to pm, so inbox is now clear.

Cheers

Dave

Baz

Buy a 306?

Speak to Miles about Bilsteins though. :)

Batfink

How much are you wanting to increase the width? You could just run a different offset on the front. I'm running Colins custom wishbones and will be fitting 0 offset wheels.

davepug205

Not sure on the 306 Baz :D

Batfink - I should have also said ill be keeping the standard speedlines so different offset wheels are not an option unfortunately, is there any other way to do this.

I was hoping for an extra 70 - 100mm ish per side, depends what options ive got really.

The car will be used on track and have extended arches to compensate the width.

Cheers Baz will pm Miles about the Bilsteins

GTI6BOY

Get some dimma wheels, 4 x backs maybe? They look like 1.9s

Batfink

wow thats really wide! How about a 405 subframe, wishbones, hubs and driveshafts?

Edited by Batfink

davepug205
Get some dimma wheels, 4 x backs maybe? They look like 1.9s

I'll be scared of taking it on track with those wheels B):lol:

Would look very nice but might take a while to find B)

Can you get away with smallish spacers?

If I run rose jointed wishbones can you get different length joints or will this put to much strain on the threads?

Cheers

Dave

davepug205
wow thats really wide! How about a 405 subframe, wishbones, hubs and driveshafts?

Will search that now cheers batfink

Batfink

That stillborn widearch 205 from 205parts was running a 405 subframe on the front if I remember

welshpug

405 track is roughly the same as 306 (overall width is MM apart) 306 suspension components are easier to use than 405 ones due to the hub design.

Sandy

To get a proper set up at that width, you really need to speak to Colin Satchell (eeyore on here). I haven't yet seen any widened 205 front suspension that's as well thought out as his or as strong looking.

Batfink

true. Colins setup adjusts all the rollcentre gubbins. Not totally sure of everything he does to the subframe (whether its just strengthened or wishbone points are different) but if you were on a tight budget then just wishbones and hubs could be an option - depends on your rideheight really. Certainly I will be running as low as possible so to let Colin go to town was a no brainer. The subframe is way more beefy (looks completely different :lol: )so should stop any flex due to running full slicks.

davepug205

Thanks guys,

I will pm Colin to see what my options are, presume he does a full kit subfame/wishbones etc? Which would be ideal. :glare:

If not Ill be looking into the 306/405 a bit more.

cheers

Dave

Sign in to follow this