• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest pwig

Gti-6 Fast Idling Problems

Guest pwig

Hi Folks,

Have had a GTI-6 engine fitted to my 205.

But I am having a problem. When it's cold it idles fine (1500) and then as it warms up instead of idling slower, it idles faster to sometimes as fast as 3k!

Replaced the idle control valve with no joy.

ANyone else had this? if so how did you fix it?

whizzer71

Did you wind the idle valve right out before you fitted it ?

:blush:

Guest pwig
Did you wind the idle valve right out before you fitted it ?

B)

Erm I didn't fit it. :)

I'll ask though :unsure:

Garry

As far as I know there is no manual adjustment on it, its all controlled by the ECU.

Did you change the Magnetti Marrelli stepper motor? It costs around £70 or so, when these stick the idle rises as you have described.

Super Josh

Did you perform an ECU reset after changing the idle valve?

Josh

Guest pwig
Did you perform an ECU reset after changing the idle valve?

Josh

That's disconnecting the battery for 15 mins isn't it?

Super Josh

Yeah, disconnect the battery for 10 mins.

Then start the car without touching the throttle.

Put on some heavy electrical loads, such as the headlights, heated rear window, blower to set the minimum battery voltage the ECU sees.

Let it idle until the fan kicks in.

Then go for a drive. :rolleyes:

Josh

Guest pwig
Yeah, disconnect the battery for 10 mins.

Then start the car without touching the throttle.

Put on some heavy electrical loads, such as the headlights, heated rear window, blower to set the minimum battery voltage the ECU sees.

Let it idle until the fan kicks in.

Then go for a drive. :lol:

Josh

Is it best to do it when cold?

Super Josh

Do think it makes a lot of difference. Most people don't seem to follow that procedure and just leave the battery disconnected for 10 mins, then start it up and take it for a drive.

Josh

Guest pwig
Do think it makes a lot of difference. Most people don't seem to follow that procedure and just leave the battery disconnected for 10 mins, then start it up and take it for a drive.

Josh

Right still having problems,

Someone said it would be the stepper motor, does the GTi-6 have a stepper motor? My mechanic doesn't seem to think so

Guest pwig
Right still having problems,

Someone said it would be the stepper motor, does the GTi-6 have a stepper motor? My mechanic doesn't seem to think so

Oooh and another one, if it does have a stepper motor, and if it was knackered, would the symptoms only materialise when it was hot?

Garry
As far as I know there is no manual adjustment on it, its all controlled by the ECU.

Did you change the Magnetti Marrelli stepper motor? It costs around £70 or so, when these stick the idle rises as you have described.

As above, it is black and about 50mm long and is attached near the throttle body. There is a guide on 306gti6.com on how to clean it.

Guest pwig
As above, it is black and about 50mm long and is attached near the throttle body. There is a guide on 306gti6.com on how to clean it.

Excuse me for being a complete and utter technical nonce, but are the stepper motor and idle control valve different things?

whizzer71
Excuse me for being a complete and utter technical nonce, but are the stepper motor and idle control valve different things?

Nope essentialy one of the same,check the black resonator tank under the inlet manifold for cracks etc,had this on one a while ago,only difference was it revved flat out by itself with the throttle completely shut,kept me guessing for a bit !

:huh:

Guest pwig
Nope essentialy one of the same,check the black resonator tank under the inlet manifold for cracks etc,had this on one a while ago,only difference was it revved flat out by itself with the throttle completely shut,kept me guessing for a bit !

;)

now, if there was an air leak, would that not cause the idle to be high all of the time? even when it was on choke?

whizzer71
now, if there was an air leak, would that not cause the idle to be high all of the time? even when it was on choke?

Yep,It revved its nuts off continually,but air leaks can cause the strangest of symptoms,may be worth a look,I would try removing the idle valve again,Pull it very nearly all the way out and then refit it,carry out an ecu reset as described and then try it again,If it still does silly things then start looking else where.

Have you changed the coolant temp sensor ?

;)

Edited by whizzer71

Guest pwig
Yep,It revved its nuts off continually,but air leaks can cause the strangest of symptoms,may be worth a look,I would try removing the idle valve again,Pull it very nearly all the way out and then refit it,carry out an ecu reset as described and then try it again,If it still does silly things then start looking else where.

Have you changed the coolant temp sensor ?

;)

erm, nope :lol:

welshpug

have you blocked the EVAP canister pipe takeoff on the throttle body?

Guest pwig

Right ok.

Had my mechanic look at it again.

He has done all manner of things with the ICV and temp sensors, none of it seems to make much difference!

I just pulled it out and put it back and reset the ECU Still no joy.

The strange thing is, the faster the idle goes, the less power the car seems to have.

;)

What's an EVAP pipe and where is it? <_<

CaptainK

Its the evaporation pipe located on the front side of the throttle body between the throttle body and the radiator. You'll see a big black plastic thing mounted on the front facing side of the throttle body. It has a yellow electrical connector on the right side (as you face it) and two pipes sticking out the left, one at the top, one at the bottom. The top one goes to some breather pipes (?) on the top of the engine and the lower one would normally go to a charcoal evaporation canister in a 306 GTi6. However, on a 205 GTi6 conversion the lower pipe is blocked off as the 205 doesn't have a charcoal canister.

If this pipe isn't blocked off or is leaking, then air could be being let in. Also check the pipe that runs from the backwards facing side of the inlet manifold (just to the left of the TB) to the vacuum pump as that might be leaking.

Bakes100

Also check your throttle position sensor (TPS), mine went which randomly caused the tickover to rise to silly levels.

Not 100% sure but i dont think the evap pipe will make a difference as it takes air from the filter side of the butterfly. Make sure it is blocked though as otherwise you will be pulling in dirty air.

The idle control valve (ICV) is also known as the stepper motor :blink:.

Edited by Bakes100

Sign in to follow this