• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Rebuilding A Girling Caliper

GLPoomobile

When putting the caliper piston back in, I've put the seal in it's groove in the cylinder first, but do I put the dust seal into it's groove in the cylinder and slide the piston back in, and then jiggle the dust seal into place on the piston? Or do I slide the piston in first, and then fit the dust seal once it's in?

Haynes says it's the latter, but I don't see how I'm going to get the back edge of the dust seal in to it's groove between the piston and cylinder. It seems too tight a fit!

Atari Boy

Sorry, I don't know either, but looking forward to seeing the answer.

I am rebuilding calipers too.

Redtop

1st without seals in make sure your piston is clean and goes in and out of the caliper. Put the seal in place then smear some brake fluid round it. Then put your piston fully in and then put the dust seal on which can be a bit futery:). Make sure you groove is clean so that it can go into place or it will just come off.

Edited by Redtop

GLPoomobile

Well I no know that you can't fit the dust seal before the putting the piston in. I tried but the piston got stuck half way, and when I pumped it out again, the dust seal had split.

So back to trying it as per haynes, but it's a fiddly f***ing thing to do.

GLPoomobile

Somebody must know how to get this damn seal back on! Please help!

I've tried working the lip back under with a small screwdriver. I'm about half way around, but I'm damaging the seal and I can't get to the bit at the back where it's blocked by the caliper body.

Surely this shouldn't be so difficult!

de Noir
When putting the caliper piston back in, I've put the seal in it's groove in the cylinder first, but do I put the dust seal into it's groove in the cylinder and slide the piston back in, and then jiggle the dust seal into place on the piston? Or do I slide the piston in first, and then fit the dust seal once it's in?

Haynes says it's the latter, but I don't see how I'm going to get the back edge of the dust seal in to it's groove between the piston and cylinder. It seems too tight a fit!

Haynes is wrong on this. It's impossible to put the dust seal in place once piston is in.

I've rebuilt 306 Lucas front calipers, this is the way to go:

Fit the cylinder/piston seal first. Lubricate with brake fluid or red grease first. (you should get it with piston repair kit).

Then put dust seal into the groove, lubricate first too.

Lubricate the piston with brake fluid / red grease.

As you see, lubricating everywhere is essential here. As in some aspects of life. :)

Slide piston back in through dust seal and cylinder/piston seal.

It's tight fit, you have to keep piston level and press hard but gentle, spreading your force equally.

Kind of iron fist in velvet glove if you know what I mean. B)

Once piston in place, push it down the cylinder until you're able to fit other side of dust seal correctly.

I used new dust seals, old ones may tear apart, true. Good luck. :unsure:

Edited by MH_

GLPoomobile

That is how I thought it should be done, but when I tried it, it was far too fiddly trying to keep the dust in place while stretching it over the piston to the piston in to the cylinder.

In the end I've done as per haynes, and I've got it under the lip most of the way around, but can't fit the last 10 percent at the back where the caliper body blocks access. So I'm just going to have to trust it stays put. That's cost me 2 rebuild kits already, at a tenner each. I wish you could get the dust seal individually.

de Noir
That is how I thought it should be done, but when I tried it, it was far too fiddly trying to keep the dust in place while stretching it over the piston to the piston in to the cylinder.

That's strange, as far as I can remember, everything went smoothly.

I suggest you try "our way" again, and keep everything well greased - there should be no problems.

I wouldn't trust keeping it 90% fitted.

marksorrento205
Haynes is wrong on this. It's impossible to put the dust seal in place once piston is in.

I've rebuilt 306 Lucas front calipers, this is the way to go:

Fit the cylinder/piston seal first. Lubricate with brake fluid or red grease first. (you should get it with piston repair kit).

Then put dust seal into the groove, lubricate first too.

Lubricate the piston with brake fluid / red grease.

As you see, lubricating everywhere is essential here. As in some aspects of life. :D

Slide piston back in through dust seal and cylinder/piston seal.

It's tight fit, you have to keep piston level and press hard but gentle, spreading your force equally.

Kind of iron fist in velvet glove if you know what I mean. :lol:

Once piston in place, push it down the cylinder until you're able to fit other side of dust seal correctly.

I used new dust seals, old ones may tear apart, true. Good luck. :lol:

As above just done mine, loads of fresh brake fluid I found was the key. I found the grease a bit to sticky, and they flew in

hoody_g

I placed all the seals first with plenty of grease and then slid the piston through the dust seal.

It is very trick and time consuming. Once you get part of the piston base in then gently work the rest round and the piston should just slide into position.

It should end up looking like this,

DSCF0973.jpg

HTH

Sign in to follow this