• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

Brake Upgrade For 205mi16

anderoo

I've got the 307 HDi brakes fitted to mine, and they are awesome. I thought the standard brakes were quite weak on my old 1.9 8v tbh.

pug_ham
Because your car started life as a 1.6 then without changing either the hubs & or driveshafts your upgrades are seriously limited to better pads & calipers (1.9 girling) because there aren't very many upgrades for the 1.6 hubs available.

I was under the impression, and this was confirmed by what pugtorque said, that 1.9 Girling calipers won't just drop straight onto the 1.6 hubs, you need 1.9 hubs, therefore you need the 1.9 driveshafts also?

As already made clear, you've misunderstood what I said.

With the 1.6 brake set up, hubs & driveshafts you are pretty much limited to upgrades without changing the hubs for base (using 1.6 GTi driveshafts) or 1.9 GTi (would need 1.9 GTidriveshafts) items to only swapping for decent quality 1.6 GTi discs & pads along with fitting 1.9 GTi Girling calipers which will bolt straight on to the 1.6 GTi hubs but need the correct bolts because they are different.

The brake pads are also different between the two calipers makes.

I've got 306 266mm disc & 1.9 GTi Girling calipers on my car but thats only because I swapped to 309 running gear & I had use 1.9 GTi hubs with the driveshafts but bother to didn't swap back when I took the 309 stuff off.

Graham.

bill

Forgot about this thread lol, been sorting a few other issues with the car, but after reading this lot, i took the wheel off today to discover its got bendix calipers, so there the 1.6 ones, and i've opted to go for the 1.9 calipers with some decent pads, as thats whats seems to be recommended by the boys who know! and its seems the easiest/cheapest way to improve my braking, if i had any mechanical knowledge i may have been tempted by a big brake set up, but i haven't, so................................

All i need now is some decent 1.9 calipers and bolts ;)

mattbenselin

Check the bay of e some on there now me thinks. Or look in the for sale section for cars being broken. I'm going to do the same, fit some 1.9 calipers with some good pads (I have green stuff now and they not supposed to be very good), and some good tyres of course.

bill
Check the bay of e some on there now me thinks. Or look in the for sale section for cars being broken. I'm going to do the same, fit some 1.9 calipers with some good pads (I have green stuff now and they not supposed to be very good), and some good tyres of course.

been looking on ebay, all i can find is 1.6 calipers, but i'll keep searching ;), ps. got some decent road tyres on, just want some 888 for the track now

mattbenselin

ebay links removed.

What tyres you use for the road?

bill
What tyres you use for the road?

at the minute i've got yoko a520's on, had them on my williams a good few years ago and they where very good, Well they where ne of the best tyres out at that time, but i imagine there are better choices about now, such as toyo proxes/goodyear f1's etc, i have plenty of tread left and 2 goodyear f1's sat at home, so it will be a while till i need to do some road tyre shopping.

am i right in thinking you can get calipers refurbished? is it worth while if i get a set of second hand calipers? and whats it cost to do so?

Sign in to follow this