• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Removing The Caliper Piston

GLPoomobile

306 Lucas (Girling) caliper. I want to strip it down as I had a brake imbalance on the MOT and I'm sure it's this caliper that is sticking.

I've got it off the car and in the kitchen. Haynes just says to use a foot pump if you can't get the piston out, but I have no suitable adapter to fit the pump to the caliper.

So how do I remove the piston? It won't shift for toffee by hand!

Only thing I can think is to put it back on the hub with no pad or disc on and press the brake pedal to squeeze it out far enough to be able to grip it by hand once the caliper is removed again, and pull it out.

Alan_M

When I stripped & rebuilt my 4 pots, I made an adapter piece to take a grease nipple (it had some strange imperial course thread - Zeus book to the rescue!). Popped a big-arse grease gun on it and pumped it out. Came out a treat, then soaked it in a bucket of red-diesel to clean it off.

Much better idea than using the compressed air system (7bar), would've been like a bullet once it let go....... :)

Pugnut

i normally use a set of 'hens legs' (aka water pump pliers , aka ........) on the lip infront of the bellows . twist at the same time as pulling. once the piston is far enough out i use a strap wrench. you need to make sure the bellows arent stuck onto the piston . otherwise you'll just tear them.

I've always done it this way and i've never damaged a seal.

GLPoomobile

Got it out now. Put it back on the car and pumped it out with the pedal.

Now I've another problem, which I'll another topic for....

Sign in to follow this