• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Redtop

Original Paintwork Gti's?

Redtop

Just wanting to know a quick question from someone who knows the bodywork of 205 gti's really well. I have my shell in the bodyshop and at the base of the front wings, that small 1/4 is bodyshutz's. Im getting a full bare metal respray and the shop want to know whether to re do this or spray it the same as the bottoms of the doors, which are smooth ordinary paint. So my question is, is there anyone out the with a genuine low miler gti with original paintwork that can varify as to whether it so be bodyshutz's or not? Im thinking of re-doing it for the likes stone chips etc up the side of the car if there are no mudflaps on it.

welshpug

all the cars I've seen have been normal body coloured there.

A few people have got hold of the engine bay stickers, GTi6boy one I believe, though recently "mechanicalrepairs" has been able to get a contact to replicate them in Vinyl and has some on ebay IIRC.

Edited by welshpug

Redtop
all the cars I've seen have been normal body coloured there.

Mine is normal colour there but rough finishing underneath the paint, if you know what I mean. Just want to know if someone has put this on the car at a time for stone chips or is it an orginal factory job.

As for the stickers i'll give them a pm and see what I can get:).

Paintguy

Yes they do have a stone chip protection layer under the paint in that area, leading to the 'roughness' you mention. The same protection should also be present on the sills, and if you want 100% originality, the leading edge of the front door, and the lower section of the rear quarter panel should have a painted-over, stick-on, stonechip protecting film (what a mouthful that is!!) reaching about 3 or 4 inches up from the bottom. You should just be able to make out what I'm on about in This picture

welshpug

picture above isnt the front wings ;)

Paintguy

I'm well aware of that. Try reading the rest of my post.

Redtop

Thats all I needed to know paintguy. Thanks. Mine does have the sill and the front of the door edge done too. Will just get the bodyshop to re-do it before paint:)

Rupertfinch

Respray tasty! Cherry red again? (I'm presuming as that's what the one in your avatar is).

craig f90
Yes they do have a stone chip protection layer under the paint in that area, leading to the 'roughness' you mention. The same protection should also be present on the sills, and if you want 100% originality, the leading edge of the front door, and the lower section of the rear quarter panel should have a painted-over, stick-on, stonechip protecting film (what a mouthful that is!!) reaching about 3 or 4 inches up from the bottom. You should just be able to make out what I'm on about in This picture

I was going to type up similar to what paint guy has already done.

I wont because he has. :blink:

On mine i dont have it on the wings due to replacing them. (Which reminds me, a cocky painter from a rival body shop once said to me "did you paint the wing bottoms and sills?") I also sanded it off the doors, but kept it on the rear quarter and sills.

Ive got a set of ecosse skirts on mine though so the sills aren't exposed.

But as your car sounds like a resto i'd get them to put it on.

Edited by craig f90

Sign in to follow this