• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Cas Sensor Problem

ifcho

Hi,

I finally started my car and actually made 6 laps at a local race. However since then I have been experiencing quite strange starting problem....the car starts sometimes and works perfectly, and then you may not be able to start it for days.

I have found that the problem is with the signal from the VR sensor. The wiring is OK, everywhere shielded lines are used, etc.

The problem is more about the position of the sensor.

The car is a XU5JA engine, with 306 2.0 flywheel with 60-2 ringgear and a 1.9 (jetronic) gearbox with mi16 FD, running on Megasquirt EMS.

When I move the CAS sensor there are several positions at which it works...but I don't understand this..on my other 205, the car starts every time, no matter how I put the CAS sensor.

Could it be something from the flywheel or gearbox casing? Has someone of you ever encountered such problem?

I am so disparate, that I'm thinking of putting a Vauxhal (Opel) 60-2 pulley at the crank pulley and make a custom bracket for the cas...

Super Josh

What do you mean by 'several positions at which it works...'? Do you mean by moving or rotating the wire itself, as if you have a bad electrical connection or break in the shield? Or by rotating/moving in and out the actaul CAS sensor?

If you look in the 405 Haynes manual it gives dimensions from the end of the sensor to the flywheel teeth, so maybe your installation is right on the limit of that dimension?

Josh

ifcho

It's not a bad electrical connection in the CAS as I'm trying more than 4 different sensors.

I move the whole CAS sensor, and at some point it starts working...

I'm sure that the wiring/etc is OK, as I can take out the CAS and put it through the big hole at the front of the Gearbox. When I hold it there the MS starts reading RPM instantly...

I'm going to get an oscilloscope in Saturday, to see what exactly happens with the signal for the sensor...but in the meantime I'm open to ideas:-)

welshpug

not sure how you can "move" the crank position sensor it has a single bolt and fits in a round hole!

(the dimensions specified in the older manuals is for the diagnostic engine speed sensor which sits at the rear of the bellhousing, not the Engine management sensor which sits in the top)

Edited by welshpug

ifcho

well I remove the securing bolt of course.

The gearbox has a hole for CAS, below the thermostat housing (although in standard I guess there is the crappy optical sensor, that does nothing?)

I am wondering, is it possible that the problem may be caused by my mixmatching of components i.e. the 306 2.0 flywheel and the 1.9 jetronic gearbox?

Could it be that the CAs hole on the gearbox is not properly aligned for the 306 flywheel B)

welshpug

It wont be that, if the gearbox has the correct TDC sensor hole (i.e at the top of the gearbox) and has an XU 60-2 flywheel it'll work fine.

I have a BX16v/405 1.9 Mi16 flywheel and clutch on my 1.9 8 valve engine and gearbox, running Bosch MP3.1 from a ZX, with a TDC sensor.

Sign in to follow this