• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
malyso

Mi16 Carb Conversion Dizzy Problem

malyso

Need a little help with wiring identification. I have an 8 valve dizzy with the alloy adapter now fitted to the end of the cam. There is a cable off it with a 3 pin connector male and female and a short length of spare cable on the end. Does this connect to the socket on the coil (4 pins)which was mounted on the now removed intake manifold with the HT lead?

Any additional help with this would be great?

skinner2k3

The 8v Dizzy has a 3 pin connector on a short loom which goes to the ignition amp.

ORB

All you need is the coil pack and the ignition amp.

They should all be very obvious as to where each one should sit.

The amp is on the passenger chassis leg/Inner wing

The Coil was on the manifold, and should be re-mounted elsewhere, I put mine on the inner wing also.

Make sure all the wires are clean and have a good connection or you will get all kinds of ignition issues.

malyso

Thanks guys should help sort it now..

malyso

I finally got around to wiring up the dizzy now the carbs are mounted and I am struggling with the wiring to the amplifier. In the picture the amp connector is on the right with one thick green wire and two thin green wires and one brown earth to the amplifier mounting plate on the inner passenger bulkhead. the short wires from the dizzy connector on the left are one red, one green and one black i think but now no sheath.

Can anyone identify which should go where please?

Image030.jpg

Image031.jpg

jonnie205

the lead from the coil should go to the ignition amp, thos wire have been chopped at some point

malyso

jonnie

I'm not sure what you mean, i have a lead already to the coil which is a 4 pin connector. Where should these three wires from the side of the dizzy be connected to?. BTW i've remounted the coil on the same plate as the ignition amp so the ht reaches nicely..

I don't have any idea about the wiring at all i'm afraid so you'll need to keep it simple please...

cheers

jonnie205

sorry i mean the 3 dizzy wires should go to the ig amp

malyso

so does it matter which wires go where?, as mentioned i have a red,green and unknown from the dizzy and one thick green and two thin green ones on the ignition amp conector?

DamirGTI

It's like this - wires from the dizzy cable need to be connected on the ignition amp connector in such order :

Green wire -> on the ignition amp connector pin No. 6

Red wire -> pin No. 5

Shielding wire (one without insulation) -> pin No. 3

Ok ?

Damir :rolleyes:

Edited by DamirGTI

malyso

Thanks Damir thats what i needed to hear :rolleyes: , am I correct in thinking that it will fire up ok then if the timing is set correct and also that it is to still ok to use the standard MI16 coil not the 8 valve coil as stated in the conversion link?

Edited by malyso

DamirGTI

Well :rolleyes: yes it should start if you've wired up everything as it supposed to be .. regarding the timing if it starts but dies immediately (if it wont idle) then the idle timing angle is too retarded so advance it a little bit (roughly 3mm's at a time) until it settles/pick up the revs with steady idle speed without cutting out .. but make a test drive after this initial idle timing setup and adjust it properly on the road until it starts to pink under load in high gear then back off (retard) the timing by 3mm's from this position ..

Sorry i dunno which type of coil was originally fitted on MI16 engines :lol: is it square type (like on late Motronic Ph2 8v engines - inlet manifold mounted ..) or round type (like on Ph1/1.5 Jetronic 8v engines ..) ? anyway either of the two will work just fine -_-

Damir

malyso

Damir,

I do have the square coil.

There is still a problem though that I can't solve, on the ignition module no's 5 and 6 have one wire looped across them is it ok to cut this and connect to red and green does it matter which way around they go.

Also pin 3 does not have a connector in it to put the shielded wire to. Is the shielded wire only an earth wire which i could mount elsewhere or does it need to be connected to pin 3?

Sign in to follow this