• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Bleeding Brakes, No Joy With The Passenger Side Rear

Tommer

Hi Gang,

My dad came over today to help me bleed the braking system on my 1.9 gti (89), after it had been stood with no rear beam and the brakes disconnected for about 2 months.

so I topped up the resevour (spelling?) with fluid, and we followed the advice of mr haynes and bled them in order, or at least attempted it. however the left rear which is said to be done first, refused to do anything, so we moved to the rear right, which bled normally. front again both fine.

I took all the joints apart for the left rear to see if there was anything in any of the pipes or unions and nothing.

is there some trick i'm missing in the whole process, or am i just going to have to shell out for new compensators? I tried getting the compensator unions off but after 19 years of dirt and water they arent coming undone without some heat!!

any help appreciated, I've only got the brakes left to do before I can MOT it and use it on the road for the first time since I bought it!!

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp :)

cheers in advance.

tommer

306-turbo-tom

i use 1 off the bleeding kits, so much easyer and it does it for you, i think you can get 1 from halfords for about£15. defintly worth it

Tommer
i use 1 off the bleeding kits, so much easyer and it does it for you, i think you can get 1 from halfords for about£15. defintly worth it

which sort of bleeding kit is that?

cheers

Tommer

just nipped to halfords and bought one of the pressure bleeders that connects to the air valve on your tyre, works on all brakes apart from the rear left, compensator i reckon?

anyone confirm or deny?

is it common for them to become like this after being stood with no fluid in?

any help appreciated before i relent and take it a garage :)

Tommer

also whilst were on brakes and bleeding, the haynes owners workshop manual says they should be bled in the order: LH rear, RH Rear, LH Front, RH Front

however the Service and Repair manual says it should be RH rear, LF front, LH rear, RH front

any one know which is right, could this be adding to the problem? arahrgahrgraR

:)

jimistdt

Hi, mate. Sorry to see you stuggling with that. I haven't done 1.9 brakes but I did find this thread with some good info in,

HOPE IT HELPS

The correct order is - nsr - osr - nsf - osf

Jimi :)

Edited by jimistdt

luggy
however the left rear which is said to be done first, refused to do anything, so we moved to the rear right, which bled normally. front again both fine.

I took all the joints apart for the left rear to see if there was anything in any of the pipes or unions and nothing.

The only time Ive ever had issue with the rear brakes not bleeding has been down to blockage in the compensator.

welshpug
The only time Ive ever had issue with the rear brakes not bleeding has been down to blockage in the compensator.

same here!

hengti

does sound as though you're going to have to renew the compensator. don't think the bleeding sequence makes a great deal of difference. i thought you 'should' start with the wheel furthest from the M/C (ie. NSR) and then do the other in that circuit (diagonal split - OSF), then the other rear next

Tommer

doh doh doh!

looks like new compensator time then :) the bloke at peugeot must dread seeing my walk through his parts dept door!

is this the same thing from GSF?

T65383 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.9GTi 33.6

anyone know?

cheers for all info guys

tommer

welshpug

looks to be the right one, what year is your car though? if its a fairly early one you'll have to replace them as a pair as the pressure they limit to was changed.

Tommer

mines an 89(G) 1.9 gti.

GSF do them , as do auto five, anyone know which are better?

i would replace them both as a preventative measure, knowing my luck I'd replace one and then the other would go.

grr. I just want to drive it now!!!

welshpug

GSF, cheaper :lol:

perry318888

before you go and blow money on a new compensator, why not check other components first? (unless you already have of course!)

remove the bleed nipple completely from the caliper - check thats not blocked.

then take one end of the flexi pipe off and push the caliper piston back to check the fluid is running freely.

also if possible - check that the fluid is getting to the compensator first and then see if it will pump out of it.

hope this helps!

perry :lol:

Tommer
before you go and blow money on a new compensator, why not check other components first? (unless you already have of course!)

remove the bleed nipple completely from the caliper - check thats not blocked.

then take one end of the flexi pipe off and push the caliper piston back to check the fluid is running freely.

also if possible - check that the fluid is getting to the compensator first and then see if it will pump out of it.

hope this helps!

perry :lol:

yeah cheers perry, I have taken all of the joints behind the compensator apart and nothing is coming out. I'm going to try and get the compensator off tomorrow, (wish me luck there, 19 years of grime!) and check that before buying!

cheers mate

C_W

Were you trying foot pedal bleeding at first? So when you undid the rear nipple and pressed the brake pedal did it stay solid?

Don't worry about the order of bleeding it doesn't make any real difference really, I think it's just the optimum way to ensure the minimum amount of fluid required to bleed properly.

Tommer
Were you trying foot pedal bleeding at first? So when you undid the rear nipple and pressed the brake pedal did it stay solid?

Don't worry about the order of bleeding it doesn't make any real difference really, I think it's just the optimum way to ensure the minimum amount of fluid required to bleed properly.

I tried foot bleeding first, the system was dry so topped the resevoir up to the top and pumped it through. started on the rear left, nothing came out after 20 mins of trying, so moved onto the right rear that was fine as were the front.

after doing that I could move the car and use the brakes as normal, (just nothing on the back left) even with the nipple off, and the joints undone, it was like normal so guessing the compensator for that side is stuff, damn things.

just ordered 2 compensators.

Tommer

got the compensator off last night and there is fluid moving before it, put new compensator on and the caliper bleed as it should woohoo!!

then went onto the drivers side and put a new compensator on to be safe, however the brake lines that run from the compensator to the engine bay are steel so have rusted and have split open when trying to tighten them up! so now i need a new brake line grr.

ho hum

supersub14
looks to be the right one, what year is your car though? if its a fairly early one you'll have to replace them as a pair as the pressure they limit to was changed.

what year did they change??

Sign in to follow this