• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joelpsmith

Too Much Pedal Travel

joelpsmith

Its been along time since i've posted on here, but i've got a brake problem that I'm struggling to sort out.

Basically there's about 2 inches of pedal travel before the brakes are activated properly.

When you press this first 2 inches you can hear air hissing, exactly as you would when the engine is off, like when testing the servo, and i think that there is also a very small amount of brake effort being applied. When the pedal does eventually activate the brakes properly they do feel ok and work fine.

I tested the servo as per the haynes instruction and everything seems fine there, so today I changed the master cylinder and bled the system (going round each caliper 3 times to make absolutely sure there was no air) but the pedal feel is exactly the same. So any ideas of what the problem is? a search on here didn't seem to bring up any one having a similar problem to this.

Edited by joelpsmith

Tom Fenton

I've never had to do it, but I believe the pushrod in the servo can be adjusted in length. Perhaps this is what you need to do?

joelpsmith

Thanks, i will try that today if it ever stops raining.

I tried measuring it with vernier calipers from the end of the pushrod to the external face of the servo and got 23mm although i wasn't really happy with the accuracy of my measurement because of the was the vernier sits on the two surfaces. Haynes says 22.2 - 22.4.

I thought about unbolting the MC and getting someone to slowly push the brake pedal so i could see the point where the MC gets pushed forward and therefore see if adjustment would be needed. Is this a sensible idea?

And does anyone think this could be a servo problem? I'm pretty sure that the brakes do work in the first 2 inches of pedal travel, but the pedal is just extremely soft at that point.

Sign in to follow this