• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Steering Rack Pinion

I have just got hold of a pas rack, believed from a 309 Goodwood. It looks like it has the round/splined type pinion coming out of the top of the rack.

Is this going to match my pas rack on my 1991 ph2 car?

Looking at it with it still on the car, I think I can see some splines on my current pinion. Do the square ones have any splines at all? It's a bit difficult to see what's what with it still on the car.

Have searched but there seems to be confusion as to whether the square pinion was on earlier or later cars....and I don't want to start taking things apart if I've got the wrong part!

Thanks

Pete

Anthony

All PAS racks are spline drive. The intermediate column is different to non-PAS, so you can't use a spline non-PAS column on a PAS rack, for example.

It was non-PAS racks that had the difference of square and spline drives.

205 and 309 PAS racks are interchangeable - as far as I'm aware, the only difference is that the track rods are a touch longer on the 309 rack (but there's enough adjustment on the TRE's to use it on a 205 - my 205 has a 309 PAS rack on it for example)

Cheers for that - all pas racks are spline - that was what I was wondering....

As for the TRs/TREs I am putting new ones on whilst the racks out anyway.

This feels like a stupid question but I cannot work out how to remove the inner trackrod balljoint rubber BOOT so as to be able to get to the balljoint to undo the TR???

I've spent the past hour searching for an answer to this and getting nowhere. It seems like the small boot covering the TR balljoint is almost stuck or glued to the end of the rack.

Help appreciated! Or, can a new boot be ordered separately if I just destroy this one? Stupid thing.

Sandy

It's a tight fit with a ridge on the small end, you have to sort of peel it over itself inside out.

I'll give it another go - thanks.

Sign in to follow this