• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

How Easy Is It To Fit A Windscreen?

smokey

Hiya Guys

I've managed to source a windscreen for my CTI :angry:

I was just wondering how easy it is to fit? Or would i be better off get a professional to do it?

My mate said it can be done using fairy liquid and string.

If anyone knows a step by step to do this that would be great.

Thanks

jimistdt

Your mate is basically right. You will need a few metres of a thick string/ thin rope (1/4-1/2" thick) run this inside the seal where your windscreen will sit so that the two loose ends meet in the middle at the top. Smear the edge of the screen with your choice of lubricant, in this case Wash-up liquid then, with a mate lift the screen and insert the top right corner into the seal. As you lower the screen into position you will need to support the weight of the screen to stop it slipping down as you do this pull on the rope from the corner that is in and continue to do so all the way round.

Good Luck

Jimi :angry:

VisaGTi16v

I used a bit of old washing line for mine, snapped right at the bottom but only about an inch to go so got the rest in with a screwdriver and some brief fiddiling. May be worth soaking the seal in hot water first to soften it a bit

steve@cornwall

Pretty much the same way, except I fit the bottom corners first - It won't drop then! This leaves the last of the sealing at the top where there's more room to fiddle !

The advantage of the CTi is easy access to the front of the screen while working from the inside :) Once the bottom is seated and you have 2-3 " seated up either side, Give the top of the screen a healthy "bump" downwards with your hand to make sure it's fully home as this will be total ball-ache if you get to the top and find it too high! Again, fitting from the bottom gives you the help of gravity. As the screen fits higher into the A pillar- tap it in place from the front with the palm of your hand at regular intervals, makes for less effort on the string.

smokey

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just one question... Do i put the rubber seal on the car 1st then put the glass in. Or do i put the rubber onto the glass then put it in as a whole thing?

Thanks

jimistdt
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just one question... Do i put the rubber seal on the car 1st then put the glass in. Or do i put the rubber onto the glass then put it in as a whole thing?

Thanks

Put your seal in situ on the frame first ;)

Jimi :)

SurGie

So to get it straight, i would need to put the seal on the body frame after warming it up, then liquid it up, then

put the windscreen on the seal with a screen sucktion handle and pull the rope around till seal lip is in line with

the body frame right ?

Well what's the best way to take the old one out with out it breaking up and making

a big mess?

Cheers

jeremy

DO NOT put the seal in the car then try and put the glass into the seal, as this may cause the screen to crack, I talk from experience. By putting the seal on the screen first the only tension is placed onto the windscreen seal as it is pulled into the car by the sting. This lesson cost me £60 as broke a windscreen costing £10 from the scrap yard and then another £50 to the RAC windscreen cover to do the job right.

Edited by jeremy

steve@cornwall
DO NOT put the seal in the car then try and put the glass into the seal, as this may cause the screen to crack, I talk from experience. By putting the seal on the screen first the only tension is placed onto the windscreen seal as it is pulled into the car by the sting. This lesson cost me £60 as broke a windscreen costing £10 from the scrap yard and then another £50 to the RAC windscreen cover to do the job right.

I agree with Jeremy - seal on glass first

Steve's guide to windscreen removal....

Sit in front seat with foot gently resting in top corner of screen. Very gently apply foot pressure to the screen - until it cracks! I've practiced on plenty now, and broken them all. Now kick the holy crap out of the screen until it's out and retrieve the windscreen seal. Did I remember to tell you to do this to a car on a scrapyard? :)

I then cut the screen seal out of my car so that I can gently lift out the screen without slivers of glass flying everwhere in the interior and refit with the scrapyard seal.

Edited by steve@cornwall

welshpug

don't forget that sunroof and non-sunroof seals are different, though they fit the same.

large

^^^^^^ CTI! :);)

platty
Sit in front seat with foot gently resting in top corner of screen. Very gently apply foot pressure to the screen - until it cracks!

;)

I feel better now. Same thing happend to me. I thought I was being too heavy handed, well footed. :)

welshpug
^^^^^^ CTI! :);)

DOH!! ;)

Paintguy
^^^^^^ CTI! :lol:B)

Non sunroof then :D

Seal on screen first!

Then plenty of lubrication on the rubber as you pull the string. It's much easier if you have a helper to apply gentle pressure to the screen as you work your way around. Corners are the hardest, so just take your time. Once the rubber is fully lipped around the frame gently slap the screen with the flat of your hand all around the edges to seat it fully into place.

Henry Yorke

On a CTI the sunroof seal (which has the lip on the top) is actually better as it means there is less wind whistle on the front of your hood. Mine still has the original non sunroof seal

Ren
So to get it straight, i would need to put the seal on the body frame after warming it up, then liquid it up, then

put the windscreen on the seal with a screen sucktion handle and pull the rope around till seal lip is in line with

the body frame right ?

Well what's the best way to take the old one out with out it breaking up and making

a big mess?

Cheers

If you need a hand drop me a pm and I should be able to help you out. I'm a windscreen fitter so will be a doddle.

Ren

SurGie
If you need a hand drop me a pm and I should be able to help you out. I'm a windscreen fitter so will be a doddle.

Ren

Cheers for that, will pm you when i get around to getting a new screen fitted.

Ren

If you're buying a new screen go to National Windscreens on Scudamore rd, I had my last one from them for £37, make sure you order one with a bronze tint.

Ren

Edited by Ren

SurGie
If you're buying a new screen go to National Windscreens on Scudamore rd, I had my last one from them for £37, make sure you order one with a bronze tint.

Ren

Will do, do they have ones with a blue sun strip colour not stick on type?

Cheers

Ren

I would imagine it would need to be ordered in but they should be able to get you one.

Ren

SurGie
I would imagine it would need to be ordered in but they should be able to get you one.

Ren

Ok cool, not sure when il get it sorted, il let ya know when i do...

Alastairh

Ren

BARGAIN! :D

Sign in to follow this